Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. It seems like it all started after I did my last lube and filter. I switched to full synthetic and didn't have any problems for the first month or so, now I'm coming out to oil on the ground. For being an almost 13 year old bike it only has 14,000 on it. Anybody else have this kind of problem?

·
Registered
332 Posts
is the oil coming from the drain plug, the general vicinity of the oil filter, or somewhere else? How much oil are you seeing? How many miles does one month translate to in your life?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be naive of me, but I haven't gotten under the bike yet. I noticed it last night and didn't have the light to take a look I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction on what to look for when I do get out there to look at it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Need to know where the oil is coming from first before a proper solution can be suggested. Take a look and report back. By looking its possible you can answer your own question.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Need to know where the oil is coming from first before a proper solution can be suggested. Take a look and report back. By looking its possible you can answer your own question.
Yeah, I figured it was a shot in the dark. I was just hoping somebody had relatively the same problem and could suggest what it could be. I'll take a look after work and get back to you guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just spitballing here given the limited facts provided, but if you don't replace the crush washer on the oil drain plug when you change the oil chances are some oil will seep from the plug and you'll start getting drops of oil under the bike. Maybe not the same or the next day, but eventually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I got under the bike today. Without removing my exhaust pipe to get an even better look, I might have narrowed it down, but I've never been good with leaks. My drain plug was bone dry, so that is eliminated. Either the list is shorter of places it ISN'T leaking, or one leak is traveling to multiple points and falling. If I were a betting man, I'd say it's coming from my oil filter location because I have oil on my frame close to my controls and trickling down towards the middle of the motor.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was thinking the same as nick. Did you replace those with the filter?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking the same as nick. Did you replace those with the filter?
I did not replace them. I thought they would've come with my new filter, but when they didn't, I just did a quick inspection of the o-rings. As far as the o-ring on the bolt, I had no idea that even existed. I didn't see anything.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
i get my filters from summit racing ,they sell a emglo which is the same as i get from my dealer nd they also come with all the orings your probably missing the bottom screw oring the two large orings i have never changed.you can get a filter from Napa,includes all the orings,Part No.PS 4935,Wix24935,Emglo 10-79 100,Wix 4935

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i get my filters from summit racing ,they sell a emglo which is the same as i get from my dealer nd they also come with all the orings your probably missing the bottom screw oring the two large orings i have never changed.you can get a filter from Napa,includes all the orings,Part No.PS 4935,Wix24935,Emglo 10-79 100,Wix 4935
Uuuuuggggghhhh. Screw having to take my pipe off. Whoever thought of that should be hung.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shawn- you are not alone. It is a little bugger. I missed it the first time too. Maybe that's the problem, maybe not. The bad part is now you have to take the whole thing apart again to check. Why they put a regular maintenance item like the filter where it is baffles me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shawn- you are not alone. It is a little bugger. I missed it the first time too. Maybe that's the problem, maybe not. The bad part is now you have to take the whole thing apart again to check. Why they put a regular maintenance item like the filter where it is baffles me.
And the relocation kit is so expensive, it's almost worth the trouble having to dismantle everything.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
And the relocation kit is so expensive, it's almost worth the trouble having to dismantle everything.
Amen to that bro. Until I'm at the point of changing oil a couple times a year, I'm pulling the pipe. Even that doesn't really take that much time.
Its absurd what they want for two metal flanges and some braided line. :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I think I've narrowed the oil leak down to my oil filter location. I'm going to go to my local parts place and buy an o-ring kit. My question now is, can I remove the oil filter plate without draining my oil?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shawn, you can remove the cover without draining the oil. Just leave the bike on the side stand and not on the bike lift. The small o ring that may be missing goes in a recess in the crankcase and not under the screw head.
Forgive me if I'm sounding naive, but there's the outer cover then beneath that is the oil filter cover. Where would the small o-ring go now?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts