Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down with dead battery got home and trying to find problem,with new battery bike starts and runs does not charge at 14volts how do i check the stator coil or regulator propperly

·
Registered
57 Posts
I broke down with dead battery got home and trying to find problem,with new battery bike starts and runs does not charge at 14volts how do i check the stator coil or regulator properly
May I ask, did you use a multi-meter at the battery terminals to determine the 14 volts that you mentioned ? Did you check to see that the battery terminals and contacts are clean?

If you're getting 14 volts at the battery terminals with the bike running, and the battery connected, then the stator and regulator is working, as long as you get at least 13v or more, then the charging system is working.

IF this is the case, and you do have 14 volts at the battery terminals, then you might have a short circuit that is draining the battery when you shut it off. you will need the service manual to trace the wiring.

If it's a short, it could be anywhere???

Now if you don't have the proper voltage at the battery terminals, then you need to work backwards to the regulator and check to see that the correct voltage is being put out by the regulator at its terminals.

It's a process of elimination, if the regulator is putting out the required voltage, but you don't have it at the battery terminals, then you need to check the wires coming from the regulator to the battery for continuity.

If you don't know how to use a Multimeter to check for continuity, then I strongly suggest you take it to a reputable mechanic.

Dennis

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got stuck in the middle of a roadtrip in May. After my 1st gas stop, my 2000 1100Vstar would not fire up. The battery had expanded and was hot and there was just a buzzing sound and note start. Basically my regulator was drawing too much charge. It was probably showing symptoms prior to my roadtrip, but kept starting, but I did go through batteries a little more frequently. The high rpm highway ride for an extended time did the battery in. I had to replace the regulator. So far so good.
Jazzer59

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
May I ask, did you use a multi-meter at the battery terminals to determine the 14 volts that you mentioned ? Did you check to see that the battery terminals and contacts are clean?

If you're getting 14 volts at the battery terminals with the bike running, and the battery connected, then the stator and regulator is working, as long as you get at least 13v or more, then the charging system is working.

IF this is the case, and you do have 14 volts at the battery terminals, then you might have a short circuit that is draining the battery when you shut it off. you will need the service manual to trace the wiring.

If it's a short, it could be anywhere???

Now if you don't have the proper voltage at the battery terminals, then you need to work backwards to the regulator and check to see that the correct voltage is being put out by the regulator at its terminals.

It's a process of elimination, if the regulator is putting out the required voltage, but you don't have it at the battery terminals, then you need to check the wires coming from the regulator to the battery for continuity.

If you don't know how to use a Multimeter to check for continuity, then I strongly suggest you take it to a reputable mechanic.

Dennis
i am only getting 13 volts at battery the repair manuel says i should get 14 to 14.5

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok Then you need check the voltage at the regulator, to do this, you need to check the regulator's terminals for the correct output voltage going to the battery, if thats not good, check for the required input voltage comming from the Stator.

IF your getting the required voltage into the regulator from the stator, then the stator is good, if your not getting the required voltage out of the regulator to the battery then the regulator needs replacing or there is a short in the circuitry from the regulator to the battery terminals.

IT sounds as though you have the service manual? That should give you the wiring schematics and the values needed for the Input and output of the voltage regulator terminals, and stator.

I would be surprised to see the stator gone this quickly, if your voltages are good at the Regulator but not at the battery, then check the wiring schematics, and trace each wire for continuity and for shorts. a short can be hard to find, but with patience and the wiring schematics it can be done.

You can also have someone hold the engine at a higher than normal idle to see if the voltage increases as the rpm's go up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I broke down with dead battery got home and trying to find problem,with new battery bike starts and runs does not charge at 14volts how do i check the stator coil or regulator propperly
Does anyone know if the regulator retectifier for £70 on eBay is just as good as £200 one from Yamaha dealer

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Does anyone know if the regulator retectifier for £70 on eBay is just as good as £200 one from Yamaha dealer
It's been my experience that the Yamaha ones are much better. I've seen numerous issues with the aftermarket ones. The ones for an 05 Roadstar are a little heavier duty if you want the best set up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's been my experience that the Yamaha ones are much better. I've seen numerous issues with the aftermarket ones. The ones for an 05 Roadstar are a little heavier duty if you want the best set up.
Thank you I'll use the cheap one for a month then get the yamaha one. Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts