Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for inputs - bought an 02 VStar 1100. The clutch works well at a decent level of acceleration but slips when the throttle is hard cranked. Of course seller claims clutch plates are supposedly new, and I checked the cable adjustment and it appears to be good.

So - before I go tearing into the clutch, does anyone have ideas? Fully understand this is a wet-clutch and some oils can cause slippage. Do the new friction discs have a break-in period?

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I can't answer about break-in and such but did you verify proper adjustment of the lever on the transmission end of the clutch cable. Mine started slipping last fall and turned out a small adjustment here solved my issue. If you have a repair manual it will detail how to make this adjustment.
As you mentioned, incorrect engine oil can cause this as well. I would exhaust all the options before tearing into the case.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I'll have to check that out - I only checked the lever adjustment. I downloaded the manual so lemme have a look.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Glad it worked for you. I can't take the credit as I learned it the same way you did, from the knowledgeable folks here on the forum. Take what you learned and help others here and elsewhere. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts