Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I am working with my best friends wife to surprise him for his birthday with a set of Hard Krome Sideburners and a K&N replacement filter. His brother in law and I will sneak over to there house and install the pipes and air cleaner while she take him on a wild goose chase. I have a Road Star so not real familiar with the V-Star. Its a 2003 1100 classic with no other mods. Questions are below. Thanks

1. Do I need to rejet his carbs or can I get away with just adjusting the PMS screws?

2. If jets are needed, which ones do I need based on just the sideburner pipes and replacement filter?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You can probably get by for a little bit without changing the jets. The mains are the only ones changed and are only in service 2/3 throttle and above. If he just takes it a little easy and doesn't do long periods at close to full throttle, he'll be fine. Just have him pick up a couple Mikuni 115 mains fairly soon. That would be Mikuni # KN102221-115. I've had good luck getting them at my local Harley dealer.

The PMS will probably have to be adjusted depending on the amount of backfire he gets on decel. Normally 2 3/4 - 3 turns out will be plenty. We usually turn them out to get it to stop,,,,then back in to where it just starts backfiring again...then out another 1/8th or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. OK so its basically the same as the road star Cv40 carb. If I remove them, will they need to be sync'd? Since we are going to be in there anyway, we might as well swap the jets right? 115 front and rear? What about the needle? No need to shim the needle then?

We are going on an 800 mile trip soon after and he might be towing a trailer with his bike along with the wife on the back.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yes...you will need to synch the carbs. No other changes are necessary. They come stock with staggered jets, but a pair of 115's is probably a better set up for that exhaust.

The biggest kink in the 1100 performance wise is the intake. Get him to go to a pod filter set up it's an extra 10+ HP for less than $150. It's like having a whole new bike. If he's towing a load...I'd highly suggest the change.

HERE is a link to jetting info and other carb details. Info on the pod set up is there too.....

Just a tip....it can be a bugger to get the carbs back in the rubber intake runners.....use plenty of spit and they'll slip right in.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts