Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just bought a used 2003 V Star 1100 Silverado that had only 3700 miles on it. So it obviously wasn't used much. It runs great but it seems the idle is very low. It dies out if I don't keep the choke at half way or keep on the throttle. I also would like louder pipes. How can I give it better performance? Is it best to replace the entire pipes? If so, which do you recommend?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
A jet kit, free-flow air filter, and open pipes is probably the easiest thing. Made a world of difference in my '05 1100. No recommendations on pipes, I built my own....but that's just me, I'm a cheap "skate".(Was gonna use another word but since you're a lady:rolleyes:);)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Performance

For the slow idle check the throttle position sensor and the idle adjusting screw.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-08.htm#TPS

There are lots of choices in exhaust out there. If you are going to make changes you probably should do them all at once because of rejeting. (If you change air flow through the engine you need to adjust fuel to correct fuel air ratio.) I would ride the bike for a while and decide what you want. Here is a site with lots of info.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-05.htm#Making-HP

Dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had an acquaintance who had one of those. My recollection is that he used slip ons and had it jetted. Ran very well and sounded quite nice. I don't recall the brand of slip on he used unfortunately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i did the same, didn't notice any thing but the loud ass sound.. no performance gain :confused:
That kinda surprises me.....I definitely noticed a difference. The biggest thing I noticed was in stock form it sounded like it just had to go up into 5th at about 40-45 mph, but after the mods it didn't sound that way until about 50-55 mph. I did the Barons jet kit, pod filters and 1 3/4" exhaust with shorty muffs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi everyone. I just bought a used 2003 V Star 1100 Silverado that had only 3700 miles on it. So it obviously wasn't used much. It runs great but it seems the idle is very low. It dies out if I don't keep the choke at half way or keep on the throttle. I also would like louder pipes. How can I give it better performance? Is it best to replace the entire pipes? If so, which do you recommend?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. :)
I'd say the idle screw needs adjusting.
As for pipes, you can get a hole saw & cut out the final baffle in the exhaust, loads of youtube vids of the results & how-to's on teh internetz too. Cheap & easy, plus I think the stock exhaust look the best anyway!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts