Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this may have been discussed before but I'm new to the site and can't find the information I need. So I'll make a long story short. I bought this bike and it doesn't run. Ive checked all the important stuff like spark and fuel. I'm getting spark to both cylinders. And I've got the fuel system cleaned out, including the carbs. When I go to start it the bike will turn over just fine but it spits and sputters and will not start. Sometimes I get a backfire or a pop here and there but no start. Any help or thoughts would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Is this your first vstar? are you using the throttle to start? You have to have all three
fire,compression and fuel. Have you tried stater fuel in the intake? Most all like this is the fuel system.
You can get a free manual pdf. on the web.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I first got mine, I had messed around with the idle screw a bit. Might not be in your case...but when I had it set super low it did the same thing yours describes. spit/sputter(was waaay too low). Tried turning idle up a bit as a test? Did you bench sync carbs when you had them off? Might not be it but just a thought.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm getting spark to both cylinders. And I've got the fuel system cleaned out, including the carbs. When I go to start it the bike will turn over just fine but it spits and sputters and will not start. Sometimes I get a backfire or a pop here and there but no start. Any help or thoughts would be very much appreciated.
By "cleaning" the fuel system....do you mean disassembly of the carbs, running a bread tie wire through all the side holes in the pilot jets and main holes in both pilots and mains?

Pilot mixture screws (PMS) should also be set at about 2 3/4 turns out.....

...and as mentioned above...no throttle on start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I say I cleaned the fuel system I literally had to go through everything, tank, lines, filter, pump. This bike had set up a long time before I bought it so the gas had gone passed shellac to white powder. Now I'm still not 100% sure I got the carburetors as clean as they need to be but I'm working on it. And thanks to this and other forums I learned about the no throttle at startup. And yes this is my first Vstar. The last bike I had was a Honda and that was 21 years ago. I'll keep y'all updated and thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The last time I had white powder in the carb, it had set a long time with an ethanol fuel mixture. It had actually corroded some of the metal in the carb and I wound up replacing it. Sounds like as said above, the fuel delivery or spark. Pull the air filter to eliminate that. If all that is good, might check the timing. Good luck with this one. Cheers, Wavelength.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after talking to y'all I double checked everything and got a little more into it. Come to find that while I do have some compression its no where near enough. So I am in the process of tearing the bike down and will take a good look at the engine. I'm thinking collapsed rings but without it broke down I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well after talking to y'all I double checked everything and got a little more into it. Come to find that while I do have some compression its no where near enough. So I am in the process of tearing the bike down and will take a good look at the engine. I'm thinking collapsed rings but without it broke down I'm not sure.
Low compression is very rare on these bikes....I'm wondering if you did the compression test correctly? Like making sure the throttle is fully open when testing?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
people always forget... the first thing to check on a non running engine is
compression to see if it's even worth checking anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea that's where I should have started. But when you pull the gas cap and there is nothing but white powder I went straight to the fuel system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts