Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a deposit down on a 2003 V Star 1100 Classic. The bike was stored for two years with old gas gumming up the carbs. Bike is in perfect condition cosmetically. Only has 9K miles. The current owner is taking the deposit $$ to get it fixed up, tuned up, and inspected. Hoping to get on it this weekend. Bike shops are ridiculously busy around here now. Ahhh, Spring Time.I have been obsessed with checking out web sites selling accessories!! Damn. I thought accessories were only expensive when you owned a Harley!! NOT TRUE!! Everything for this Yamaha is equally as expensive as it was for my Road King. My Brother recently bought a 2009 Vstar and loves it. Nice looking bikes at a very reasonable price. First on the mod block will be the exhaust. Ugh!! Hate stock exhaust. I want the drag pipe slip ons. Anyone have a suggestion as to what manufacturer to go with?? They seem to all be about priced the same. I look forward to reading up on everyone's trials and tribulations regarding their bikes and of course much advice for a newbie V Star owner.

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Good choice of ride you made. Yeah I'm a bit biased :), not sure why. Once you get your bike you must follow the writtings of the book of newb. But of course you would know what is meant.

Welcome to our fun place on the interweb. Post often, ride safe and don't go faster than your gardian angel can fly.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your purchase. I'm sure with that kind of mileage It's in great shape. Pretty typical of the carb problem. Would like to see some pics when you get it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got my bike last week. It was in the shop for two weeks. The guy I bought it from towed it up to my work for me. I love the bike but the place he took it to for the tune up / carb cleaning is horrible. The bike was supposed to be completely serviced and ready to ride. The carbs and valves are so badly out of adjustment, I'm afraid to ride it other than to put around town. The fuel mixture is so rich that all you smell is gasoline while riding. The carbs pop and stall the bike. The valves chatter louder than the exhaust and the pipes are turning purple after a hundred tender miles. If you live in Maryland, DO NOT take your bike to MOTIVATIONS!!! They are liars and they run a shotty business at best. I figure I'm going to be into the bike another $400 to $500 by the time I get it straight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike had been stored in the guys basement for two years. I started it up and it ran so rough because of the gummed up carbs that I didn't want to allow it to run more than a minute. I was aware it needed service. The bike has only 9K miles on it and is in mint condition. Nothing sounded as if a good tune up and service couldn't taken care of it. It went in for service and was returned back as described above. The pipes showed no blueing prior to getting serviced. Now they are purple. Something is not right and was not addressed properly or thoroughly by the MC repair shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took my bike by a shop my brother recommended this past weekend. The mechanic rode it and said I should change the oil and use sea foam in the gas to see what happens. I changed the oil with a 20w 50 synthetic and added the correct amount of sea foam to the gas at fill up. The carbs are still popping but not as bad. The tapping is still very evident and seems to be getting worse. I drilled out the baffles from my exhaust and that seemed to relieve a lot of the carb popping too. I was trying to wait until I got new pipes and an air intake system before taking it to get fixed but seems I will need to go sooner. Can't stand the tapping. I am handy, however, I don't know that I want to tamper with the valves. I would rather leave that to a professional.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts