Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the bike over to a friend's house to protect it from the last hurricane we just had (Delta). It sat for about 3 weeks without being started.

It spins over but won't fire, the battery was low so we put it on the trickle charger for a few hours but nothing. Pulled the spark plugs and they were black-ish like it has been running rich. Did the old "put the plug in the plug wire and hold it against the head" to check for spark and didn't see any. Oh yeah, when I pulled them they were wet from the trying to crank bit. I bought 2 new NGK plugs we are going to put in tomorrow. I still have the gas in it that was in the bike when I bought it a few weeks ago, the PO said it had AmSoil gas stabilizer in it and it fired up easy every other time I've tried. On the off chance it was out of gas, we added about a gallon of fresh to the tank.

Engine oil may be low, we had difficulty seeing the site glass and sticking a finger in the filler hole came up empty - no visible leaks or white smoke when it was running so I didn't suspect a problem. I see no reference in the manual to a low oil cut-off, so I'm not sure on that.

I do get a brief engine light when trying to crank it when I let off the starter button for 2 oe 3 seconds. It has an aftermarket ignition module, I'll post a pic below.

I've seen other posts about fuel filters, fuel pumps, etc, but I haven't checked that far yet. Does a carbureted engine have a fuel pump and should I hear it run when I turn the key on? Or is it gravity fed? I haven't looked in the manual yet about the fuel filter - that probably needs cleaning.

I'm sure the carbs need cleaning and syncing (manual says every 4,000 miles, the bike has 8,000), is that a (fairly experienced on cars) shade tree mechanic job or better left to a shop?

At a loss here, I rode it over there and it was running fine - I gave her the blood sacrifice earlier (See my post about the mirrors), so that should be appeased.

Reactions: Yamaha Pat

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,009 Posts
Have your battery load tested. A battery might have enough juice to turn engine over, but not enough to power ignition at the same time. I've seen this happen several times in the past. Don't think you have a carb issue as you stated plugs were black and wet. Might be getting too much fuel with week spark. Your Dyna ignition could have failed, without testing its hard to tell. Yes, the bike does have a fuel pump. The bottom of tank is below the carbs and pump is used to push fuel up to carbs. The fuel pump should make a clicking sound until system is pressurized. You can run the bike without a pump as long as you have at least a half tank of fuel as that's how much gas is above carbs. But start with battery test first. Any automotive parts store can test the battery for free. Let's work on one thing at a time till we can help you find the issue.

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic Canadian Edition
25 Posts
You will hear the fuel pump kick in if the fuel is about half full (correct me if I'm wrong here, but I know I hear it every time I've got about 100 kms on a tank). That's all the help I can give you right now as I am not sure on how to trouble shoot no spark.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10 1/2 volts when the starter is spinning , it doesn't have the power to have ignition.
That was one concern I had, we did have a booster charger we connected and same results but it is again on the trickle charger for an overnight charge.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have your battery load tested. A battery might have enough juice to turn engine over, but not enough to power ignition at the same time. I've seen this happen several times in the past. Don't think you have a carb issue as you stated plugs were black and wet. Might be getting too much fuel with week spark. Your Dyna ignition could have failed, without testing its hard to tell. Yes, the bike does have a fuel pump. The bottom of tank is below the carbs and pump is used to push fuel up to carbs. The fuel pump should make a clicking sound until system is pressurized. You can run the bike without a pump as long as you have at least a half tank of fuel as that's how much gas is above carbs. But start with battery test first. Any automotive parts store can test the battery for free. Let's work on one thing at a time till we can help you find the issue.
It was the plugs, the one on the left is the front cylinder.

Thanks for posting that video Les, I learned a lot watching that and a couple of others he made. I feel a lot more confidant working on it after seeing them. I've always been a bit of a grease monkey with cars but bikes are kind of new thing to me (and my riding buddy, Keith).

I made a wish list for some tools and common stuff (O-ring assortment, heat shrink assortment, etc.) I want to get to have on hand when we tackle more repairs/upgrades. At least now I know I have a team of experts on my side for helpful (and sometimes snarky - go ahead, you know you want to) suggestions and advice.

Thanks to everyone!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,009 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Ask any questions you have at any time.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I was going to say you could have just licked the soot off of the plugs. The acid in your saliva breaks the soot down. You would think i was being a wiseass and you would be right. But we could tell who you were by your black tongue.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Reactions: Cheese
1 - 14 of 14 Posts