Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am presuming that occasionally checking/retorquing the heads are part of regular maintenance at 50k or so. The front head, or whatever that top part is called, is leaking in the fins. I checked the valve adjustment cover and it is tight. The leak just started about a week ago after some heavy riding for about 400 miles.

I am hoping the answer is yes, you need to retorque them every once in a while. I would hate to have to pull the heads for a new gasket.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Are you sure it's leaking from the head and not the cam chain sprocket cover. It's easy to cut an o-ring when adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the head gasket was leaking, I would expect most of the whole head area to leak. There is oil above seeping above the head gasket, in the upper fins, so I think I can rule the head gasket out.

Also, I believe if the head gasket was blown, I would get an uneven run on the engine and notice a bit more backfiring I guess. It may be the cam chain cover.

I will check out putting a new cam chain cover gasket on and see if that does the trick. I think that may be it.

Thanks for the replies y'all!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it may be the tappet cover. There is fresh oil on the bolt and only on the front of the engine above the head gasket line. All of the oil ion the fins are at the tappet cover level or lower in the fins and seems to be more concentrated at that level.

I have not even put 1000 miles on the last valve adjustment from the shop. I wonder if there is a bad gasket on the tappet cover, or even if it has a gasket.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Were either of the bolts loose? Maybe not torqued to spec or backed out. The O-ring in question sits flat against the head in a recessed groove on the cover. Maybe they didn't install a new one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I think they may be too tight.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm not sure if "too tight" would distort the cover or not. Time to break out the Metric Hex Wrenches and pull that cover off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, I want to have the gaskets first just in case. That is my next course of action. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Smart Plan

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the gasket was flatter than a pancake. Replaced it this evening and ran for a few minutes without any leakage. I think only an actual ride will tell. It has been cold and rainy here the last couple days. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow. I will get out and clean her up and take her for a lunchtime spin to see what happens. :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Great to hear! Hope you enjoy the ride!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts