Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2005 1700 and seller seemed shocked when I noticed gas gauge showed E - so much so hours later we were texting about motorcycles and he said if it was an expensive fix he would pay for it - point being I do believe it probably just happened sitting up

Question, any ideas of what I should check first ? I filled it up - reads E and gas light blinks

Any help ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just purchased a 2005 1700 and seller seemed shocked when I noticed gas gauge showed E - so much so hours later we were texting about motorcycles and he said if it was an expensive fix he would pay for it - point being I do believe it probably just happened sitting up

Question, any ideas of what I should check first ? I filled it up - reads E and gas light blinks

Any help ?
Sending units on these are known to have issues. Some guys replace them while others just keep an eye on the odometer as to when they need to stop for fuel. I don't think they're a difficult repair if you're inclined to work on things yourself.

A search over at roadstarclinic.com should give you the needed information.

Brad

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Any help ?
Sending units on these are known to have issues. Some guys replace them while others just keep an eye on the odometer as to when they need to stop for fuel. I don't think they're a difficult repair if you're inclined to work on things yourself.

A search over at roadstarclinic.com should give you the needed information.

Brad
Thanks - I removed the tank and unit but didn't help

Honestly don't think I would use it, probably be like screw it I have reserve but again just want it to work lol

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
My 2000 Royal Star has a light thats suppose to come on when the bike is down to 2 quarts or so

it doesnt work. The bike starts to stumble going up hills when there is about a gallon left in the tank on Main, because the drain is in the front of the gas tank instead of the back

always use the ON and RES positions as intended, and you wont run out unless you forget you switched it over.

If you are going on a road trip and want some insurance, get a 1 liter spun aluminum camp stove fuel bottle (looks just like the water bottles). keep that full in your saddle bag and it should be good for another 10 miles if you run dry.

If you do, you will use it 10 times to help another stranded rider, before you need it yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2001 will some times not reset when I fill up till I ride a few miles. Now that I think about it 13 Raider does the same thing

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
My gas gauge reads full until it's actually about half full. When gauge reaches half full it drops to E really quickly. I've always used the odometer so gauge not working correctly is no big deal. Guess it's what you get to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts