Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,713 Posts
Are you replacing with stock pumps? Any restrictions in fuel flow prior to pump? Restrictions before pump will cause pump to work much harder causing a short life. New fuel lines? Internally fuel lines will deteriorate and collapse under vacuum. Is petcock corroded? Is petcock screen in gas tank clean? Any rust in gas tank causing blockage? Are you changing fuel filter each time to reduce restrictions? Have to tested voltage to pump? Too high or too low voltage will prematurely make any electrical motor fail. Answering these questions will help narrow down the issue causing pumps to fail. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm putting her up on the stand tonight. About 7 years ago I was just driving along minding my own business and she died. No prior conditions. Removed/ cleaned carb, replaced fuel filter to no avail. Ended up replacing the fuel pump and bam, up and running. Has happened 4 times in the years since. Drives me nuts. I am in CA, engineer friend told me might be the alcohol in the gas out here.....Dunno. Will get back with some more info & pics tomorrow....

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
your 2006 bike was designed to run on 10% ethanol regular octane gas

if you are putting e85 in the tank... that might be a problem

is there any chance its an electrical problem, bad wire/ connector, corrorded ground connection, and when you replace the fuel pump the back connection sticks good for a while?

In a pinch you can bypass the fuel pump, and the bike will run with the tank from full to about half empty - you only need the fuel pump to get the last bottom half out of the tank, because the carbs are higher than the bottom of the tank.

Like Les said, after the first replacement I would have replaced all the fuel lines and filter, and pulled the tank petcock out to make sure its not plugged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's funny..I've gotten so fed up with it my plan was to gravity feed. Bypassing the fuel pump this weekend. I was in a pinch with tools etc when I last had it running and ended up bypassing the pump and running the existing fuel line from the tank directly into driver side carb, ran on one cylinder about 200 miles. Wasn't pretty but made it home. And I honestly think it made it a lot further than 50% of the tank however loss of range is my biggest fear with bypassing. Any other problems, loss of efficiency etc related to bypassing??

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
why was it running on only one cylinder? the hose from the fuel pump tees off to both carbs - connect the fuel filter output to the tee.

you wont have any issues until the level in the fuel tank is about equal to the floats in the carbs, then it will starve for fuel, run lean and sputtery for a few miles, then quit like its out of gas.

If you have the tank full and its not running right with the fuel pump bypassed, then your fuel lines, filter, or petcock is blocked.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
i went gravity a few years ago. eliminated the filter. out of the petcock a 3" stainless ubend, 5/16th. then directly into a brass 5/16th tee. i rounded the barbs of two of the branches so a 1/4 hose would fit to each carb. i hit reserve reserve anywhere from 125 to 155. i ran it dry one time and got 28 on reserve with a gas bottle in my saddle bag.milage varies of different factors.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
milage is different every fillup. i'm never 30 miles from a gas station and i'm leaving about a quart unused for for maybe 10 to 20 miles.not using a filter never had a problem. i have a battery monitor, custom dynamics starting going to yellow and red. the regulator wasn't charging the battery i could of got stuck on the side of the road. that was a smart mod. there are lots of mods in the WKB it was fun. did my own pods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts