Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else had issues with the gas Gauge failing on their road star? I must have bad gas gauge mojo because I can't seem to keep a gauge working to save my life. The low gas light flashes and of course the needle says empty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Roadstar gauge cluster is know for being kind of a pain on some bikes & nearly bulletproof on others. It's a pretty expensive fix since the entire cluster is sold as a unit, not separately. You could try running Seafoam through a couple tanks to see if it frees a sticking gas gauge sending unit (it might). If that doesn't fix it you could be looking at an expensive repair. I can help with that some if you need it since I work at a dealership.

Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not so sure that this bike didn't sit for awhile, it certainly didn't have the miles on it when I bought it...2006, one owner 7400 miles. I bought it in aug/sept and now it's got 12000+. I don't know if the sitting could be an issue contributing to the possibility of a sticking gas gauge. Talk to me about Seafoam, I'm ignorant on this one. What is it, how do I use it. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seafoam is a gas additive that's also a solvent designed to clean fuel systems. I never believed the hype about it until my Dad had some around & I was working on an old bike that was stored for years. The word 'miracle' isn't out of place with this stuff. It can't fix everything but I swear by the stuff.

You just pour it in your gas tank & ride. First time you use it it'll probably knock some sludge loose & your bike will pop a little bit as the gunk runs through it but it doesn't take long to clear everything out that it can get out.

It's about $10/can & it's worth it but I've seen it locally for as little as $6.99.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While on a road trip in the Vette I had last year, the fuel guage started acting up as I was running reg unlead on the trip. I stopped in a lil town in NM and boughta bottle of Techron. It woke the gas guage back up and it worked fine after that.

Now the Road Star I got recently had the guage acting up on the ride home. I am gonna try some Techron in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While on a road trip in the Vette I had last year, the fuel guage started acting up as I was running reg unlead on the trip. I stopped in a lil town in NM and boughta bottle of Techron. It woke the gas guage back up and it worked fine after that.

Now the Road Star I got recently had the guage acting up on the ride home. I am gonna try some Techron in the fuel tank.
I did try that with about 1/3 of a bottle of Sea Foam and nothing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is using the tripmeter out of the question? The 1100s do not have a gauge, so using the tripmeter is the only way to know when it's time for gas....besides waiting for it to start sputtering and switching to reserve.

But, it's understandable that having an instrument that isn't working is annoying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts