Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a Yamaha 5-BN1 oem exhaust for 30.00 it’s brand new. The guy who sold it to me said he found it in one of his rent houses. He had no clue what it was for or it’s value. (Do I feel a little guilty yes) all he listed on the ad was the part number. It looks to be the same exhaust on my 650 classic. Will it fit right up or am I wasting my time? I know I could just try bolting it on. However I just replaced all the gaskets and got the bike back together. Even if it’s the right size if it turns out it’s off a 250 or something will I have to worry about back pressure or anything? I can’t find that part number (5-BN1) listed anywhere except for generic eBay ads for exhaust that list it for a 650 but that seem odd to me. Not sure what I should do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured it out. 5-BN1 is not the whole part number. It Is only part of it and it’s the 1998 to 2002 exhaust assembly part number. I believe the part number is different because the older exhaust does not have a catalytic converter. Where as my exhaust does. So the question remains. Can I still use it? Is it just the Equivalent of a catalytic converter delete on a car?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
What you have is a V Star 650 Classic exhaust, 1999 to 2010 the parts are all most entirely the same, a couple electrical plugs, Ca. to non Ca. are your only problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s a non CA but the part number is different from my oem exhaust. Mine is 5SC-1 I am assuming the only difference is the internal Catalytic converter and because it’s a 650 there are no electrical wires or o2 sensors to worry about on these pipes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told by a shop after 2004 all the Yamaha bikes had catalytic converter‘s is that wrong?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
CA oem is catalytic, they change numbers but the pipe is the same, I am combining a 2003 and a 2004 right now. I have bought many parts on ebay, the only problem I have is the stupid harness plugs get change around every couple years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CA oem is catalytic, they change numbers but the pipe is the same, I am combining a 2003 and a 2004 right now. I have bought many parts on ebay, the only problem I have is the stupid harness plugs get change around every couple years.
I noticed that when I bought a new speedometer the plugs changed from female to male. And it was from a 2004 650 V-Star. Mines an 2006.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You can take it apart, pull the 5 bulb sockets and undo the 2 screws and swap them, just remember which bulb goes in which hole.
The trip reset is just a single tiny phillip's screw to hold the knob on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can take it apart, pull the 5 bulb sockets and undo the 2 screws and swap them, just remember which bulb goes in which hole.
The trip reset is just a single tiny phillip's screw to hold the knob on.
Yeah I figured that out. I had to be careful when taking it apart. I just used small pieces of masking tape to label each wire so I couldn’t possibly mess it up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome from New York and another 650 owner!

Reactions: Zpearson84
1 - 13 of 13 Posts