Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a clunk and the speedo/odometer quit working. I took it to the dealer and was told the output shaft is broken. Damage is extensive, I was quoted a price of at least $4000. I have done some digging, and found at least 3 other cases with the same bike. Needless to say, not happy. I am in contact with Yamaha to try and sort this out, as it is not under warranty.
Anyone else had the same problem, or any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Reaction score

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave,

I will definately not pay $4000 to fix it. If the dealer or Yamaha are not going to help sort this out, I am going to cut my losses and never own a Yamaha again.

Cheers.

I had an 1100 but have moved on. It was a good bike. No trouble, sounds like you hit a bad one. Would this help you? From E Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMA...1332474QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I don't know if I would put $4,000 into it? Tough choice. Wonder if you could find another repair shop that would go with used parts?

Dave

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Reaction score
Cut and run

I'm sure I would also feel that way. I do think however Yamaha makes some very good bikes. I have had three. All had zero problems. I am well over 40k miles on my Stratoliner, put 14k on my 1100.

I'm think your cheapest way out might be to get the bike repaired with used parts. Then if you still feel that way sell it and move on. Looks like if you are able to do your own work and the parts on E Bay will fill the bill you can get out for a few hundred bucks. It is not like these bikes always have that problem. Get another opinion from another dealer if not more.

Not a bike for popping wheelie's though, hope no one was doing that. Is just a cruiser.

Hope you work it out.
Dave

·
Registered
410 Posts
Reaction score
If it is just the drive shaft, a used final drive off EBAY is an easy fix. I did run into a guy that had to replace his u-joint to the tune of $3k, but he said he was doing burn outs.
I have an 06 1100 classic that just noticed a loud whine comming from mine after 60k mile.:( I am hoping that it is just the final drive but I don't think so. Has anyone else heard of this?
I have changed both engine and rearend oil no metal found.

Good Luck
Doug

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whine

Doug,

When I took my bike to the dealer with a broken output shaft, they asked me if I had heard the whining you speak of above before it broke. I am told that is a potential indication of a larger problem to come (i.e. broken output shaft).

Jeff

·
Registered
410 Posts
Reaction score
Whine and Clunck

Jeff
Well it happened yesterday. I heard some crunchy sounds, felt the bike lurch slightly, and the speedo quit.:( I put another 35 miles on (to work and back) with no other issues. Going up to a buddies house to tear into the darn thing. I will keep every one posted on what I find.
Doug

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds familiar, exactly how it happened for me. Last weekend I trailered my bike 3 hours to the actual dealer I got it from. They have since taken it apart and told me that they do not believe that the damage is as extensive as I was told by the first Yamaha dealer. They are having a Yamaha rep come in to assess and determine what they are prepared to do as well. I will let you know if Yamaha acknowleges any responsibility, it may help you and others.

Jeff

·
Registered
410 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks, I am going to do as much of the work I can myself. I have 60k on the bike so I don't think Yamaha will do anything for me. But any info will be greatly appreciated. I should have mine tore apart by the end of the week, Let you know what I find.
Doug

·
Registered
410 Posts
Reaction score
Broken Shaft

I pulled my engine yesterday and found the nut holding the u-joint to the middle shaft sheared off. As I don't trust my local dealers work I ahve taken my engine to a local privately owned shop. Quoted 12+ hours labor and parts.
Doug

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doug,

Exact same place mine snapped, the nut holding the u-joint to the middel shaft sheared, which caused the clunk. The second dealer (original dealer I purchased the bike), has quoted me $1995.00 parts and labour included. I told them to go ahead and do it. I also wrote a letter to Yamaha and have been in contact with their customer service online. The rep has been in contact with the dealer and apparently they are now willing to eat some of the cost. So, I do not have a new cost yet, but it will be lower than $2000.

Jeff

·
Registered
410 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I will be incontact with Yamaha Monday morning. Do you have the person you contacted? I am not sure how much Yamaha will be willing to help me with due the high mileage of my bike. Every little bit helps.
Thanks again.
Doug

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doug,

I am in Canada, so all I did was go to Yamaha's Canadian website and found the contact link. In there, there is a customer service number, so I called that. Not sure where you are, but here is the Canadian contact info:

Head Office
Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd.
480 Gordon Baker Rd.
Toronto, ON
M2H 3B4
416 498-1911

Jeff

·
Registered
410 Posts
Reaction score
Jeff,
I am in Washington state. I did check their web site and found a number for customer service I will call them in the morning.
thanks
Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reaction score
If it is just the drive shaft, a used final drive off EBAY is an easy fix. I did run into a guy that had to replace his u-joint to the tune of $3k, but he said he was doing burn outs.
I have an 06 1100 classic that just noticed a loud whine comming from mine after 60k mile.:( I am hoping that it is just the final drive but I don't think so. Has anyone else heard of this?
I have changed both engine and rearend oil no metal found.

Good Luck
Doug
It sounds like the mid shaft nut is loose or broke off at shaft.im going through same problems 😪 mine broke and im drilling into shaft and putting in bolt.check the mid shaft nut before it breaks!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,547 Posts
Reaction score
Hellbilly1, I see that this is your first post. I had this same problem on my 2002 1100 Custom and even though it was out of warranty Yamaha paid for the parts and I paid for labor. I know this is an old thread but if you past in the New Member Introductions we could get to know you better.

Reactions: faffi
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.