Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing a bit of a whine/roar noise when I let off the throttle. Well finally I'll have to figure it out. I was pulling up to my driveway, shifted to first, and had no power to the rear wheel. The engine sounds fine, gear shifting seems ok (I can go up through the gears), but when I let the clutch out I get this noise: https://goo.gl/photos/axQreMyacozYf3fq9 The speedo climbs too, but no movement.

Anyone have any thoughts? The clutch didn't feel bad.

Joel

·
Banned
292 Posts
Obvious question but did you check to make sure the belt is still there and in one piece. Past that, it almost has to be the clutch or front sprocket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.. Yes the belt is there and looks good. I'm starting to think maybe it's the transfer gear?? I'm not sure if the transfer oil had been changed or checked (probably not). I did the oil changes on the bike the last few years, but that was it. I don't think my father had it in for any other service other than tires..

Joel

EDIT: I think that is what you meant by front sprocket? I'm used to shaft drive, so this setup is new to me. Any idea on how much work is involved with that?

·
Banned
292 Posts
I was referring to the front pulley. It's splined. I would do as complete a visual as I could of the drive train outside the cases. Raise the back up and spin tbe back wheel with the bike turned off and in neutral and see if you can hear and/or see what the issue is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. No noise when I push it in neutral.

It's thunder and lightning here today and it broke down at the bottom of my driveway, very far away from it's shed. :( I'll look into it over the next few days.

Joel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for the info, here's hoping that's what it is.

Weather dependant, I'll have a look at it tonight.

Joel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, finally had the time and weather to have a closer look. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, unfortunately, I think this ended up being a big problem.. :(

Sure enough, that nut was loose. I was able to turn it by hand. I took it off and found this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jQI2ZLuUtlkXx3rlrBRbuSMUENWJCgcNDg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GrtVn1JpQOZfj83oXENdUuwJbwK6ok8bjg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ef6uimsk-vKV7lfdwXowIL6-BQ03jSp_hg

So a few questions..
Has anyone had any luck getting this covered under a warranty (this is an 06)? With the amount of reports, this should be a recall! And it isnt anything that would be checked under normal service.

Any idea in how much work is involved in replacing the middle driven shaft?

Thanks for all your help!

Joel

·
Registered
522 Posts
You can try to get extended assistance.

Other than that, its not a HUGE deal. Drain the x-case, remove the exhaust, rear head pipe, exup valve (and anything else small in front of the right side chain cover). Open the cover, remove the primary nut and take the pinion gear out along with the spur gear (attached to the ganked up shaft) out. You will need a new shaft and primary belt pulley. The interior of the x-case should be clean of shavings but I would want to replace the shaft bearings which may require a confident technicians touch; but its not an impossible driveway job.

You are looking to replace #13 and the belt pulley not pictured along with all gaskets, exhaust rings and gear fluid.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well I tried to attach the photo from the service manual but a single pic exceeds the upload size limit..

Shoot me your email and I will send you the service Manual PDF's

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I've already downloaded the service manual and had a look at the parts.

I'll see what parts I'll need and get them ordered tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help!

Joel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I decide to tackle it myself, I'll try to document it. I'm 50/50 whether it is over my head or not. I'm fairly capable, but mechanics is definitely not my main job!

Joel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update - I ordered the parts I figured I'd need, $870 CAD later. :( I think I ordered some more seals and gaskets then I really needed though. Started the tear down yesterday and got the pulley and middle driven shaft out. Now I just have to wait for the back ordered parts to arrive. I couldn't really document the process too well, too dark in my shed. But I'll put together a basic step by step and the parts needed once I'm done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Service bulletin written and should be a service center. Pulley nut becomes loose. Both 06 bikes have had it for us. Fixed last one with locktite retaining compound on the shaft splines and blue locktite on the nut. Hope all works out for ya. P.S. check the cover for pulley grinding as it will move out.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is that service bulletin from the local distributor defining the problem to Yamaha Corporate or, vice versa?

When I had the problem with my main drive pulley nut being loose on the 950, I talked to a corporate tech. in California and he said that they had never heard of such a problem. Is there an ostrich problem with the loose nuts? :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
According to the service manager in Rapid City SD dealership...was from Yamaha. It asked to check for problem. Never seen it...but he talked about it. Yamaha didn't want to pay for it but there is nothing in the manual about checking it for routine maint. What parts do you need. Maybe I can see what is around for good used. Only problem we've ever had. Needed a better locking nut. I had a Stratoliner S and he has two Midnights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ya..Tech in California told me he never herd of them stalling...it was on the net and service tech. found the air bypass for idle control was misadjusted. Only 06 models and it was on the net in several states at several dealerships. My buddy had electrical problems with his Chieftain this summer, they looked at it at the Sturgis Rally and replaced the 2014 Chieftain with a 2016 Roadmaster. Free. Wiring harness was bad and they didn't want the bike on the road giving Indian a bad name. I was impressed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
WOW! A new bike? Now, That is good customer relations.

I have seen several accounts of loose drive pulley nuts on the forums and i mentioned it to the Yamaha Tech. I know it's not a common problem but, should be of concern if you care about your customer. Since you cannot check the torque on a nut that has been either staked or thread locked, it is not a simple check to do. Once a staked nut is removed, it should be replaced with a new one. The loose nut is enough of a problem that I have seen where some enterprising souls have drilled the nut and safety wired it. :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts