Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are lots of replacement systems out there on the market.But all I am looking for is a louder replacement muffler..Why bother changing the pipes if you have no reason to do so,right..So if you know of such a thing please pass along the information to me..John Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
loud pipes

I installed a set of Cobra Slashcut slippones last week on my 02 1100 classic. If you want loud mufflers then these are the ones for you. If i`m riding around town on short trips they sound great, but if i`m riding on the highway travelling then they can be a bit annoing and I will wear ear plugs. I also wear a shorty helmet so maybe a full face helmet would be a bit quieter. When you change exhaust you will need to rejet your carbs or get a programmer if you have fuel injection. I think Cobra sells those also. There is a bit of a performance gain also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Danman---Did you just replace the mufflers or the complete set of pipes? I put road house pipes on my yama 650 and had to make no changes in the carbs or anything..That sounds great but like you said it can get annoying on long rides..Thats why I was just looking for an exchange muffler..I can change it if I want with out any problem..And with the new noise laws they are proposing now days.It will be an easy swap...Thanks for your input..I was looking at the ones in J.C Whitney.They are cheap..But will they last???

·
Registered
133 Posts
mufflers

Slip on mufflers use the stock header pipes that came with your bike. You just remove the stock mufflers and bolt on the new ones. The Cobra web site recommends that you re jet with new mufflers. A local bike shop here did the carb work for me. All in all the bike runs great. Lots of power and pulls like a freight train. It can also sound like one at times too !!! :D:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
mufflers

I havent seen a JC whitney catalog lately but I just recieved the latest one from J&P Cycles for metric cruisers. There are tons of parts from every manufacurer and the prices are resonable. My Cobra mufflers seem well built and the chrome is flawless. I`m sure any name brand muffler would be the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not having ask the dealer yet.I have heard that if I just change the muffler the IFE SYTEM WILL TAKE CARE OF IT IT'S SELF...Anyone know about this? I know my dealer isnt gonna like me changing the bike..Seems to me there would be information on the web about this but I have not found anything yet...john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.