·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,652 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Uhm... you are chasing the wrong thing

googled Vstar650 fault codes and this came up:

Broken solenoid leads set trouble codes 57 or 58 depending on which carb the leads are broken off. Rear is 57. The leads will break off at a lug that the solenoid windings are soldered to. If you very carefully dig out some of the rubber that seals around the lug without cutting the coil windings you might be able to solder the leads back on
Im pretty sure its the fuel cutoff soloniods on the carbs - you are getting both codes so both are disconnected (probably not plugged in!)

sorry about this -when you said you thought it was the TPS code no-one checked you on that...

·
7,652 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 Silverado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
KCW, I think you might of solved this issue. by looking really closely to the carburetor I can see it originally had fuel cutoff solenoids. whoever messed with the carbs removed them and put plugs. I now see the two plugs from the wire harness. (I always thought that for California bikes) but apparently were issued on 2006 and newer V-Star's.. No wonder I was getting the engine light codes! gonna buy the "Shutoff Solenoid Delete Kit" to install. They say they use it for Pod mods or aftermarket pipes. Mine is all stock, I hope this works out.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
did you read this part: Do it yourself with four 39Ω resistors?

Step-By-Step DIY

1. You will need to insert a bolt in the hole from which the solenoids were removed - the 8mm socket head fits fine, the head fits into the recess in the carb. An 8mm x 5mm (thread pitch of 1) will be perfect & I think it looks better than the big brass plug. (courtesy of TimB007)
  2. You will have to "put up with" the check engine light being on
  3. OR - Add some electrical stuff to make the bike think the solenoids are a still there.

1. Make a new harness to eliminate the fuel cut off solenoids . I made a wire harness by cutting the wires about 6'' from the solenoids. Then soldered each wire to a 39 ohm resistor (or 33 ohm OK too) and then put the other end of the resistors together and soldered a wire on , put a eyelet on the end and grounded it. I used the screw on the valve cover for the ground. (Note: Resistors from Radio Shack - in the Drawers $1 or less each). catnipp Amie (catnipp2):
the check engine light being on does not address your original problem, the engine bogging down .....

what is the deal there? does the bike max out at a given speed and seem to have no power? It should be able to hit 100mph if the engine is running well.

?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No , your right, that takes care of the light issue, as for running. she idled perfect even first gear was okay. It was when you shift to 2 and opened it up, she would climb slowly with surges and bogged down, come to a stop. shes okay. So in a nut shell, in 2nd, 3rd gears as you open the throttle she hesitates to climb with surges and bogging. I haven't rode since I turned the TPS all the way, maybe I'll put her together run her to see, while I wait for a new TPS that I ordered.

·
7,652 Posts
Sounds like clogged main jets or fuel delivery issue (clogged petcock, clogged fuel filter, etc.). Might try unhooking fuel line going to carbs, put in container, turn key on. Are you getting good strong fuel flow? If you are, run some Seafoam thru it before taking carbs apart. Here's a simular issue.

Reactions: KCW and Bobber650

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As I wait for the parts to arrive, I have a question. Is it possible that by not having the fuel cutoff solenoid plugs on the wire harness, it also could affect the ECU? we definitely know that's whats giving the engine light code, but since those wires in the harness lead to the ECU, it might give it a reason to not work effectively.. hmmm just a thought!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I dont think the bike goes into anything like a limp home mode with fault codes.. its not like a fuel injected bike

if the solenoid wires were broken and the solenoids were still there the bike might barely idle but the fuel to the jets would be cut off and it would not above idle

as long as the plugs that were put in there are correct it should run, but you got the bike with the carbs in a basket.., so maybe the plugs are wrong and that is partly cutting off the fuel supply

look at the linked page for replaceing the solenoids, pull the plugs (bolts) out of the carbs, and see if it looks right or not

if thats not it, check the fuel pump output like Les said, and go from there

when you get a bike that is not running, you spend a lot of time trying to guess what the PO was thinking....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update** Received the new TPS installed it when I went to set it between .650 & .750 noticed it also had to be taken all the way to the left to get it .740 (that didn't sound right to me but hey..) I also installed the fuel cutoff solenoid removal kit. That took care of the engine light issue! at least something worked as it should. When I put it all together, she started with the choke completely out., but couldn't stay on when choke was push in. so basically she worse now then she was. I noticed that with the choke all the way out, she doesn't sound really rev'ed up like she should she sounds about 700 or 800 rpms, barely staying on. So, in my mind I wasted $ on the new TPS. maybe setting it back to somewhere where she use to be... but that means taking carbs out again, to reach the security screws..... wish I could get a set of carbs / that haven't been messed with..

·
7,652 Posts
Since you did all this work, have you changed plugs or at least cleaned the old ones?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, I only have 2 miles on the fresh plugs when I originated this post.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Insure no cracks in manifolds and they are sealed good to heads, it is just an o'ring. My 650 did exactly the same thing and it was the manifolds.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
287 Posts
Use an unlit propane torch to check for cracks in the manifolds. With the bike idling normally direct the torch at the manifolds, if the engine idle speed increases, then you have a leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for the input Jspree and Bobber 650, I put brand new manifolds. Gonna try to put the TPS back near where it was before, at least she had idled. When trying to get the TPS into the range book states, TPS is all the way to the left, where you can't adjust anymore. When I first got to the TPS, it was somewhere in the middle where you adjust to either side.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts