Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
good call would like to see the 2500 rpm voltage he may not even have a issue as I have killed bike batteries buy just running them around the neighborhood at slow speeds. And more so on the bikes with extra loads on it.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
55 Posts
I dont think anything can drain the battery when the key is turned off on an 1100 - but you should check the voltage in the morning just to be sure - it should stay over 12V... 12.6V would be really good. It should pretty much stay where it is when you park it after a ride.
The only thing I can think of that would drain the battery without the key on would be if there is an aftermarket security system or direct wired LED's creating a parasitic draw.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
55 Posts
With nearly all motorcycles (and most automobiles for that matter), with very few exceptions, at idle, you will not charge your battery. The two primary reasons are the alternator/generator/stator (depending on what you have) is not generating enough voltage to charge the battery below 2000 rpm and you have a current draw (lights, igniters, gauges, etc...) Always test your battery from what you are quite sure is a full charge. During the winter, many people will go out and start their bike up once in a while. While that is a good thing to do to keep things moving in the motor, that does not charge the battery unless you are keeping the rpms up.

Think of a time you've tried to jump start a car with a nearly drained battery. If you just hook up jumper cables it may not start. If you start the jumping vehicle, the other vehicle still may not start. But if you get the jumping vehicle rpms up, the other car starts. That is because you are taking the voltage (and amperage) up by getting the engine up above 2000 or so rpm.

Another problem that some run into, is having an aftermarket battery that has too few Cold Cranking Amps (CCA). If you don't live in an area that gets cold enough to warrant worrying about this, then disregard. The same as with your car, you may have 12+ volts showing on the battery, but if you don't have enough CCA to push the starter, the volts don't matter as much. Also, a high compression motor takes more to turn. Not as big a deal on these bikes, but my chopper has an S&S 111 motor with super high compression, and even with compression releases on it, if my battery is not FULLY charged, she doesn't want to crank AT ALL. She really doesn't like the cold...LOL

I hope that adds just a little more information to your knowledge base.

Sinister

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Update March 24,
I let it sit on the trickle charger overnight. Disconnected and read 12.6v when the key was turned off. Took it for a mile and a half ride and took a reading with the key in the off position and it was 12.4v. Took a reading at idle and it read 12.2.
When you take it off of the charger it will drop that much normally a couple tenths

·
Registered
153 Posts
You definitely have a charging issue there. I didn't read through every single post, so forgive me if I'm repeating ...

First thing's first - check and CLEAN BOTH ENDS of BOTH the positive and negative battery cables. If any part of either looks green, corroded, or a black to dark brown color, REPLACE them. Then I would be checking all the connections and wiring to the Voltage regulator. The ground wire I'd pay close attention to - clean the contact point up GOOD. If it grounds through the housing, clean that up.

Next I would be checking every connector (may only be 1) coming from the stator and up to the voltage regulator. There should be 3 yellow or 3 white wires coming out of the stator. All 3 of these need to be putting out the same amount of AC voltage. NONE of these should have continuity to ground. I'd want to see 5-10 AC volts at idle out of any of the 3. If any are far off from that, or if any have continuity to ground, you're done - it needs a stator. They should all have the same continuity to each other - a few tenths to 3 ohms if memory serves.

By the way it's not charging at idle, I'm suspecting a high resistance in one of the 3 AC legs from the stator. I've seen many machines over the years with melted connectors related to these 3 wires, due to high resistance.

Check all this out and let us know what you find.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts