Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, finally got my Raider S from where I had it shipped from in Texas. While we're on the topic, which company do you all use when needing to ship a bike from point a to b? I used Haul Bikes this time around and it took every bit of two months. I'm sure covid didn't help but there's only so many times a company can use that crutch before it breaks. Anyhow, if any of you have any recommendations for another company for my next out of state bike purchase, I'm all ears!

Back to the point of this thread, the fuel meter is inop. I knew it didn't work at the time of purchase and just wanted some opinions. The dealer told me the sender unit assembly for fuel is what needs to be replaced and I'm just curious if anyone has had that issue before and if the sender unit fixed the issue or if I'm gonna have to dive deeper to get it solved. I just ordered the part from PartZilla last night so it should be here early next week. All feedback welcome!

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,502 Posts
Wow, that is surprising on such a low mileage bike. Unless of course sitting in storage all those years caused the failure. Which may be an issue as you get the bike on the road with other systems that have not bee used/lubricated all that time.

I cannot recommend any shipping company, I myself either fly out and ride back or in the case of my Stratoliner, I drove to South Texas and picked it up in my pickup to bring back to Virginia.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is surprising on such a low mileage bike. Unless of course sitting in storage all those years caused the failure. Which may be an issue as you get the bike on the road with other systems that have not bee used/lubricated all that time.

I cannot recommend any shipping company, I myself either fly out and ride back or in the case of my Stratoliner, I drove to South Texas and picked it up in my pickup to bring back to Virginia.
Yeah that’s the only downside to it being so low mileage, I gotta replace that and the tires before I can do any real riding but for $7,800 I couldn’t pass it up. Luckily the folks at Yamaha seem to know what they’re doing when building bikes with longevity in mind. Only fluids that have been changed since the in service date is the oil so I plan on doing a few things to it before next season but this is where I’m gonna start out for now. Hopefully I’ll get a lot of healthy, happy years outta her. 🤠

·
Registered
397 Posts
There is a lot of information out there on the idiosyncrasies of the gauge—Here is what I have learned:
You must let the gauges cycle before pressing the starter or it will case a bad reading.
Total fuel capacity: 4.2 gal this includes the .8 in sub tank
Fuel gauge operation: first half of tank works off of a float in the tank - the second half of the tank is calculated by the ECU based on the consumption rate of the first half
Low fuel light: there is a sensor in the sub tank that is kept cool by being covered by the fuel - once it is uncovered it heats up sending a signal for the fuel light to come on.

*After fueling the bike has to reach a speed of 3 mph before the fuel gauge will register correct

In case it helps, here is just one discussion I found where someone fixed their issue: Fuel gauge not registering

More info here:
FUEL GUAGE PROBLEM ON MY RAIDER

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a lot of information out there on the idiosyncrasies of the gauge—Here is what I have learned:
You must let the gauges cycle before pressing the starter or it will case a bad reading.
Total fuel capacity: 4.2 gal this includes the .8 in sub tank
Fuel gauge operation: first half of tank works off of a float in the tank - the second half of the tank is calculated by the ECU based on the consumption rate of the first half
Low fuel light: there is a sensor in the sub tank that is kept cool by being covered by the fuel - once it is uncovered it heats up sending a signal for the fuel light to come on.

*After fueling the bike has to reach a speed of 3 mph before the fuel gauge will register correct

In case it helps, here is just one discussion I found where someone fixed their issue: Fuel gauge not registering

More info here:
FUEL GUAGE PROBLEM ON MY RAIDER
Yeah in my specific case, it doesn't register at all. It can have a full tank and the meter will be bottomed out and the fuel light will be on. I'm gonna start with replacing the sending unit and see if that fixes the problem and if not, I'll have to try a few other things. I'm planning on doing an ECU reflash after I put an aftermarket exhaust system on it so if the sending unit doesn't fix the issue, hopefully that does. If all else fails and I can't figure it out on my own, I'll make a trip to the local Yamaha dealer and get it in there for service come spring time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts