Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for 02 sensors for 2008 Road Star. New to me bike with after market exhaust, 02 sensors removed and Power Commander 3 installed. Want to install 02 sensors and remove the Power Commander 3. Any help locating 02 sensors would be great.

·
Registered
2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
278 Posts
I've got one off a 2010 Stratoliner. They look the same and the OEM part numbers are the same except for the first 3 digits. You can have it, if anyone knows if it's compatable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got one off a 2010 Stratoliner. They look the same and the OEM part numbers are the same except for the first 3 digits. You can have it, if anyone knows if it's compatable.
thanks nsnate02! appreciate you offering yours, mine takes two, let's see if there are any other replies on compatibility or availability.

·
Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,291 Posts
Can't help you much on if the 'liner version are the same or not. I personally have had issues with cheap knock-off Chinese junk sensors on autos before. They wouldn't last long before they were throwing a code again. Finally got tired of replacing (the vendor was sending me free ones under warranty) and got a quality unit and it's been on there several years and many thousand miles. So if it were me, I'd bite the bullet and source OEM sensors.

Does your exhaust have the bungs welded in for the O2 sensors? If not you'll need those. Here's a link.

Seems a lot of Road Star specific sites I've visited they're not impressed with the aftermarket tuners. Seem to often be the cause of issues. Is this your reasoning for removing it and putting the O2 sensors back on?

Oh and welcome to the site from Iowa. Maybe drop a quick line in the new member intro area. The group loves pics so if you want to share your bike that would be cool as well. 🍻

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't help you much on if the 'liner version are the same or not. I personally have had issues with cheap knock-off Chinese junk sensors on autos before. They wouldn't last long before they were throwing a code again. Finally got tired of replacing (the vendor was sending me free ones under warranty) and got a quality unit and it's been on there several years and many thousand miles. So if it were me, I'd bite the bullet and source OEM sensors.

Does your exhaust have the bungs welded in for the O2 sensors? If not you'll need those. Here's a link.

Seems a lot of Road Star specific sites I've visited they're not impressed with the aftermarket tuners. Seem to often be the cause of issues. Is this your reasoning for removing it and putting the O2 sensors back on?

Oh and welcome to the site from Iowa. Maybe drop a quick line in the new member intro area. The group loves pics so if you want to share your bike that would be cool as well. 🍻
Thanks Brad G. I have trouble with the bike "missing" at steady throttle often. It will self correct if I move the throttle slightly up or down but is very annoying and not sure if it may cause damage. The pipes have bungs so installing the 02 sensors is really simple install. I want to remove the tuner as I read that it has effected several bikes negatively.

·
Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,291 Posts
Thanks Brad G. I have trouble with the bike "missing" at steady throttle often. It will self correct if I move the throttle slightly up or down but is very annoying and not sure if it may cause damage. The pipes have bungs so installing the 02 sensors is really simple install. I want to remove the tuner as I read that it has effected several bikes negatively.
Just responded to your post in the introduction thread. If it were me I'd also get the O2 sensors back in there. From what I've read, the power commander has a ton of connections in it. Take your time and make sure you get everything back together with a good connection if you do. I presume it's all plug and play and the OEM connectors are still present. I'd even consider some electrical contact cleaner while doing the job. Make sure the connectors are clean and maybe some electrical connector grease to help deter moisture/corrosion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts