Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
Having a problem getting my rear wheel to mount properly. I removed it to get the tire replaced at the dealership. I followed the instructions in the Clymer manual. I took it for a test drive and noticed a slight vibration at 70kmh when I was accelerating, so I took a closer look at the rear wheel when I got home. I noticed that when I tightened the 4 bolts that mount the final gear case to the swingarm, it pulls the final gear case out of alignment, the gap between the rear hub and the final gear case is not even, back is closer than the front.
I have removed and checked everything but I can't figure out whats causing the problem, but I did notice that the distance collar may have been spinning, it had lines on, I don't think its supposed to spin in the ring gear.......
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't get this figured out. My next option is the dealership.
Thanks, Brian.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
there are spacers that go between the wheel and the frame, - its possible one of them rolled away when you took it apart, and since you did not see it when you put it back together.. or maybe you got the parts in the wrong places

you can download the yamaha factory service manual for free from several websites in pdf files - it has the assembly drawings for taking the wheel on and off

there are also exploded drawings on websites like bikebandit, in the OEM section - you have to put in your make and model and follow a few tree branches down thru the website, but the drawing are worth the effort, very clear and useful

you should not have to line anything up taking the rear wheel off the 1100 or 650, it should come off and bolt back on easily.

·
Super Moderator
4,500 Posts
Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
Yes I have tried everything. The only thing I am doing out of sequence is having the axle installed before I position the wheel in the swing arm. I would have to remove the exhaust pipes to slide the axle in with the wheel in the swing arm, a major pain in the butt as I have speedster longs.
Now that I'm thinking about it, Im just going to take the pipes off and see if it helps............I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts