Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any insight,please share.
I've come across a 950T with 11000m. , good price.
Owner claims first gear needs replacement (doesn't work).
Perhaps share difficulty of such a repair, or if it could be a clutch issue ?
Any insight on what to research before viewing (and falling in love) would be so appreciated!
It appears to be completely stock.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If it is in fact a 1st gear issue, if pieces of the gear is floating around more damage is probably to follow. I wouldn't think it is a clutch. It all depends on the knowledge of the person that said it is a "1st gear issue".

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
where did it go
and why did it go there?

there are no transmission issues on these bikes - either a rare defective part was installed, or someone did something bad to the transmission

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was driven that way , one could expect further engine damage ? To the crank shaft ect.? Its all in the same bath of oil more or less ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is possible the linkage needs adjustment. Maybe not likely, but possible? Maybe?

I would think if broken there would be some (awful) sounds associated with it. Does it "click" into 1st but not drive the rear wheel? Or not click at all when you try to shift to 1st?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok , from what I've learned , it does engage into 1st (and drives) with a grinding because of missing tooth. The seller claims to have removed the piece by removing a cover and a using a magnet. Also , the heel-toe shifter has damage.

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK, depending on a number of factors, you could still have some success.

First, you'll need one of these:

https://goldplug.com/shop/mp02/

Then change the oil after just a few miles. If there are any small pieces left in there, that plug will trap them (really small ones are already in the oil filter).

My 950 takes off fine in 2nd with 1-up so you have a 4 speed tranny with a tall start-off gear.

All depends on how bad you want it and what you're willing to put up with.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
if you want it really bad
you will get really bad

try starting on a steep hill at a red light two up in 2nd gear

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanna give thanks for replies . Wound up with a great 1300 in Sept. , and no tearing apart !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts