Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people! I have a 2009 V star 650 that has a strange problem, randomly when driving or at idle the bikes lights will shut off and the bike loses power, when you turn the throttle is almost sounds like a misfire, when it is like this if i give it has and release the clutch it will just die. This normally only lasts aboit 10-30 seconds. It feels almost like fuel starvation but also seems electrical becaus all lights **** off when it is in this condition! Hope that i explained it well(enough) please let me know if this sounds like anything you know of! Thanks!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Check the plug under the gas tank where the Stator connects, also check the battery positive terminal for discoloration....The reason I am saying this is : I had a battery go bad, the positive terminal got hot and discolored, it also heated up the plug to the stator and actually melted part of the plug. It is a white , 3 prong kind of large plug...When it went bad it acted like I had run out of gas..... and you said it works when it cools, this could be at that point right before it did what happened to me.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
could be where the ground wire to the battery or ECM connects to the frame - if its corroded it could be intermittent

could also be one of several pins in a couple different connectors

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
no, dont do that

the battery charging circuit cannot tell the battery is missing
and it could drive the voltage up higher than the electronics can handle, and burn out your headlight and other lamps

if your battery is in question take it off the bike, take it to any auto parts store, and they will LoadTest it for free

if you want to jump start it with another battery, like a car battery, that is ok and keep it connected while the bike is running

if you jump start it from a car, keep the car engine off, so the two charging circuits are not fighting or back feeding each other
but keep the motorcycle connected to a battery while its running

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh okay, I started the bike off of my car battery and disconnected the cables and rode it for a sec, but it starts going into that condition intermittently. The previous owner said he had the same problem but with a new battery. He took the battery off of the bike when i got it so it has no battery. I ordered one on ebay and am waiting for it. It seems like as long as the cables (from car battery) are plugged in it doesn't happen. Didnt realize the ignition system was so reliant on the battery. I am getting my battery today or tomorrow so will update you guys when i receive it!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
What you can do when you get the battery and install it. Read the voltage. Then start it and check the voltage. It should be 12+ and when you give more rpms is should run to 14+. This will tewll you if there is a problem with the charging system

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Oh okay, I started the bike off of my car battery and disconnected the cables and rode it for a sec, but it starts going into that condition intermittently..... Didnt realize the ignition system was so reliant on the battery....
Again for future readers of this thread: do not run the bike with no battery attached

it only takes a split second of over voltage to blow out all the electroinics and all the light bulbs on your bike, if the regulator runs up to 18V or more because there is no battery connected

when working on a vehicle you have to be careful you do not cause more damage than you already have, and resists the temptation to try something because you want to see 'something' happen

that something could be $500 in destroyed parts on your bike, in seconds

let us know how it runs with the new battery

an old battery can fail in a mode where it will run when you jump start it, and as soon as you disconnect the jump battery the old dead battery pulls the alternator output down too far - that is a good indication that your old battery is shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts