Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike for a ride and everything was fine started right up everytime the next day now it wont start the bike cranks but wont fire over. I notice that the fuel pump isnt priming when the bike is turned on. iv taken the fuel pump out and tested it and it works iv taken the starter and that's fine, spark plugs also fine also replace the fuse in the starter relay and replaced the battery but it still wont start and the fuel pump still isnt priming. I'm at a loss on what to do next the bike only has 15k miles

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
If the fuel pump doesn't work you can see if it will run off of the reserve. If you fill the tank full it should run with out the pump until 1/2 way down. There are filters in the petcock.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
^ like he said. Check to see if fuel is getting to the pump.
Also, double check the batter's voltage when you hit the starter button. If it drops below 9.5 volts. It doesn't have the cranking power to kick the bike over. Maybe you battery is dying or has a bad cell?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the fuel pump doesn't work you can see if it will run off of the reserve. If you fill the tank full it should run with out the pump until 1/2 way down. There are filters in the petcock.
The bike doesnt have a petcock and I had the tank completely full

^ like he said. Check to see if fuel is getting to the pump.
Also, double check the batter's voltage when you hit the starter button. If it drops below 9.5 volts. It doesn't have the cranking power to kick the bike over. Maybe you battery is dying or has a bad cell?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I put a brand new battery in and it still wouldnt start

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Found this on an old thread. Hope it helps!

Just wanted to update everyone and say thanks for the replies and help. I got it figured out and it is running fine now. Evidently there is a fuse in the starter relay that controls the injectors which in turn sends a signal for the pump to run or not. Replaced the 10 amp fuse then crossed fingers and prepared to either cuss and throw tools or jump for joy. Not quite sure about the jumping part but joy was there.....fired up like nothing ever happened. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might the fuel pump have a separate fuse?
not that I know of but it says that the fuse on the starter relay is what sends the signal for the fuel pump to prime and iv replaced that

Found this on an old thread. Hope it helps!

Just wanted to update everyone and say thanks for the replies and help. I got it figured out and it is running fine now. Evidently there is a fuse in the starter relay that controls the injectors which in turn sends a signal for the pump to run or not. Replaced the 10 amp fuse then crossed fingers and prepared to either cuss and throw tools or jump for joy. Not quite sure about the jumping part but joy was there.....fired up like nothing ever happened. Thanks guys.
iv already replaced the fuse on the starter relay

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
When you turn the key do you get any lights on the dash? On mine when I turn the key the fuel pump energizes and the dash lights (neutral) , clock/odo lights etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you turn the key do you get any lights on the dash? On mine when I turn the key the fuel pump energizes and the dash lights (neutral) , clock/odo lights etc.
all the lights come on just like normal but the fuel pump does not engage. I took it out and tested it but it was fine it is an aftermarket fuel pump though

Where the plugs wet or dry?
the plugs were dry

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
From another thread about 950 no spark.

[IMG alt="Digger"]https://www.starbikeforums.com/d2/avatars/m/31/31122.jpg?1573125294[/IMG]

Digger
Registered

Joined May 1, 2014

276 Posts

Discussion Starter • #3 Oct 13, 2016

Thanks NGM! I started with the battery and found the negative terminal was loose. Tightened it up last night and tried again but still wouldn't start. Tried again this morning and after a minute or so it fired up. Shut it down and pulled the battery out. Took it to the shop and they are going to test it to make sure it's still good. If it is I am going to get a service manual and check all the other posibilities. Hoping at this point it was just the terminal being loose but wondering why it didn't fire up right away after I tightened it. Maybe fouled the plugs or something.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,480 Posts
Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay so after messing around with it I found out that the power wiring leading into the fuel pump wasnt making a good connection but I got the fuel pump to come back on only thing now is the bike still wont turn over. it tries and sometimes catches but it dies. any ideas on what to do to make it stay running ?

·
10,480 Posts
Is the bike cranking, engine turning over, but not starting?

·
10,480 Posts
yes the bike is cranking and sounds like its its gonna fire up but gives up
Next step, test for spark, both cylinders. Good and strong on both. Spark tester like below work great. Let us know results.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
99 Roadie
544 Posts
Is there fuel pressure? The pump should run briefly to bring up pressure in the system then it will stop, FI systems have to see engine speed to run the pump continuously. Eng. speed comes from the crankshaft speed/position sensor (CKP) a failed CKP will kill spark and injector pulse. injector power circuits are fused and usually power the O2 sensor heater circuit as well. Injector pulse is a ground from the ECU. A long skinny screwdriver held on an injector while spinning the engine and held to your ear will tell you if the injector is working ( you'll hear it ticking) if you have spark but no injector "tick" then I would be looking at this circuit.
A failed fuel pressure regulator will cause abnormally high or low fuel pressure (lean or rich codes)
Even though a pump will run doesn't mean it makes good pressure.
The check engine light (MIL) will let you know if there are stored codes but it may stay on during bulb ckeck with the engine not running. There may be a way to make the bike display flash codes, I don't know.
It's very difficult to diag a system without a scanner to look at live data.
Live data tells you what's happening.
Codes tell you where to look for problems in the system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts