Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off and cleaned my carb on my 2009 VStar 650 classic. I want to replace the little screws on all four cover plates. (16 screws, 4 in each plate) Anyone know the size and thread so I can go to a bix box store and pick some up.

I found the part numbers on a diagram but searching the part number comes up blank on the size. I dont really want to bring it to a store and "try" to match it up. I'd rather no I putting in the right size.

Mikuni contact is no help and no part number on the carb itself

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,843 Posts
(8) M4-.7 pitch 8mm long (10mm long works also) socket head screws for the carb bowls

·
6,843 Posts
I've got Stainless screws in mine without any issues. I also use lock washers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got Stainless screws in mine without any issues. I also use lock washers.
you do realize that lock washers puts more pressure in one spot untill you really get the screws clamped down tight. I personally would not use washers, but maybe some blue loctight if worried about them coming loose.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I recently rebuilt carbs on my wife’s 650 and replaced all bowl cover screws with SS Phillips heads I got from Lowe’s. I wouldn’t use hex heads because you can easily overtorque them and strip the threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
you do realize that lock washers puts more pressure in one spot untill you really get the screws clamped down tight. I personally would not use washers, but maybe some blue loctight if worried about them coming loose.
That may be the case with split washers but not with toothed, serrated, crinkle or dished type lock washers. Besides, the small amount of uneven pressure of a split washer doesn't really matter because there's no danger of it warping the carb cap. IMO lock washers are a better alternative since I don't like gumming up the threads if it can be avoided... the best option, of course, is safety wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
(8) M4-.7 pitch 8mm long (10mm long works also) socket head screws for the carb bowls
I've seen several posts here saying to replace with 10mm screws, but what I'm assuming are the OEM screws on the carb from my '09 650 are more like 14mm. Can anyone confirm?

·
6,843 Posts
Here's suggested bowl screw info.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
If you ride your bike in the rain often, and esp if you ride your bike in the winter when you might catch salt spray off the road, then I would be concerned about using stainless screws into aluminum.

Normally motorcycles are fair weather vehicles, and the carbs are tucked up under the gas tank - but if you leave your bike outside often where the dew will condense on everything, I would look into this further before you do something different than the factory OEM materials.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
the suggestion is to use 10mm length instead of 8mm length

1 - 12 of 12 Posts