Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a MS Batwing on my 2009 VStar 950. With all the rain lately I only been on one ride with it. It doesn't take away from the great looks of the bike and adds some wind protection - especially on the hands. I have the 5" windscreen but I am getting some buffeting. I think I will need either the 7" or 9". It was really easy to install. I thought I'd share some pictures in case you are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Buffeting

Abstar,
Looks great. I think those batwing windshields add to the bike's looks. Will make it easer to ride in cool weather and take the edge off highway riding. Besides looking good. If you are riding now it must not get cold where you are.

On the buffeting, the taller windshield may not get rid of it. Not sure what kind of buffeting you are getting but if it is a turbulance behind the windshield you may need to add lowers,maybe a vent. Something to change the way wind comes in under the fairing and turns up. Bucks lowers did it for me. You may need some that mount to the shocks.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. I am getting buffeting in my helmet above 50mph. I haven't had time to experiment with different angles yet. I don't think I am getting any turbulence behind the windshield. I'll need some more rides to figure it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Buffeting

Linerdave. What model are you riding? I have the 950T with the 16" windshield and I get buffeting right at the top of my head. I was condidering the 20" windshield but was afraid it wouldn't solve the problem. I added a new mustang seat this winter so I need to wait until I can ride it some more to see how that changes things since it's changing my riding postion. I'm interested in the type of lowers you went with.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Buffeting

Cruzn,
I have a Stratoliner with the tall windshield not a 950. But I think the idea is the same. With both my V Star 1100 and Stratoliner the air behind the windshield would start to move around to the point that it moved my glasses when I get above about 65 MPH. I felt the air coming in under the windshield was turning up and causing turbulence behind the windshield. In my case on both bikes lower wind deflectors just below the windshield solved the problem.

There are other approaches. I saw where person solved the problem by tipping the windshield forward or back more. Some bikes have a vent around the handlebars level to let in air. Examples BMW 1200 LT, Yamaha FRX. Some Goldwings.

Each case is different, Try getting in a safe spot and hold your hand low and try to see where the wind is comming from. Move your feet forward and rearward, trying to change air flow. Once you know where your air is comming from then you can deal with it. I heard one person say air was comming over his helmet and creating a turbulence behind his head shaking he helmet. I don't believe I have had this problem. Maybe I don't go fast enough.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
So we see what it looks like, looks great btw, and we've discussed buffeting. How about fitment issues? Did you have any issues with the install or was it pretty straight forward and easy to do? Is it completely solid mount or is there a quick attach like other Memphis Shade products?

I'm really thinking about getting one of these if/when I sell my 650 Classic, so any info is helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The install was very easy. It uses the quick release mounting brackets that I believe applies to other Memphis Shades windshields.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wow !! like the look.

I have the Memphis Fats QR gradient tint screen.

as far as the buffeting... can you adjust the angle of the acrylic visor portion of the unit ?? or is it a one piece unit. ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can adjust the angle of the entire unit. Haven't done that yet but I am hopeful that I can get clear air at the helmet if I lower the wing and reduce the angle.

·
Registered
778 Posts
That really does set off your bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That looks awesome. I've beeen thinking of getting a batwing as well but now that I see yours I want one even more.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Denis

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I wanted to know if the Memphis Shades fairing fits with the OEM lightbar because I ordered one for my girlfriend V-Star 950. We received it yesterday and there is more than enough clearance for the lights. The fairing is very well made and you can adjust the height and the angle. I'd post some pics but the fairing is of to paint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 950T with the 16" windshield and I get buffeting right at the top of my head. I was condidering the 20" windshield but was afraid it wouldn't solve the problem.
I have the 16" on one of my 950 V-Stars and the 20" on the other. both of these are factory quick release windshields. I can say that I get the same on the 16". The 20" is unbeleivable as to the difference. Very little buffering compared to the 16. The only this is I like the windshield, I just do not like looking thru it. With the 16, I can look over the top of it. With the quick release, I can change them out in seconds.

Mark

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am adding Yamaha Stock cruiser Hard Bags I just bought off this forum.

I also have a 2009 VStar 950 and I think the BatWing Fairing but with the new bags that just shipped today, and the BWF, my bike is going to look totally different.

I hope I will like it and also the way it feels. Summers almost here and someone said for summer the 5" is nice. Then I'd also get maybe a 9" too. I'm 6 feet fall so I need to figure it out.

I will 100% get Lowers as after lots of research those seem to solve the buffeting issue 90> of the time.

Looks great!

Any update after you've had it awhile? Example, how tall are you? Do you have any I put in what a good windshield size would be? Does it change the ride for the better? Explain how the bike feels now, and how your body feels with the BWF, does it take all the wind off your chest?

Any Negatives? Have you got Lowers yet? Still getting Buffeting?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts