Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, today I committed to a 2009 Vstar 950 with 3500km. Bike is basically new, I expect to take delivery when the roads here locally thaw around mid-April. With that all said, I've been researching around the internet, and since this bike is still "used" and now 11 years old, I've read that the front pulley nut should be checked. I've also read about one potential recall that I know of concerning a fuel hose.

Apart from checking the tires out, I doubt the plugs would need to be changed, the air filter should still be fine ( but I'll check anyways) , replace the filter and oil. What other maintenance or things should I look at when I get the bike in the garage? The bike physically looks in near perfect condition externally. Bike runs fine, the articles and videos online about that front pulley have me spooked pretty good into checking the pulley and the splines / add red locktite and than antiseize lub the rollers.

I am open to everyone's opinions, but please keep comments and replies to a serious note as I really want to get this bike into a good piece of mind for myself just after I get it, so myself and my wife can have a great summer cruising with it.

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
2,887 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. How long did it sit before you found it?

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Congrats. Definatly an oil change. depending how long it has been sitting maybe drain tank and fresh gas. It might not need it if it runs good. That thing is like new almost broke in. Enjoy and upload some pics when you get it. I am excited for you. There are a lot of guys here with 950s and they love them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I purchased my 950 Tourer last November and it’s an 2009 as well with very low miles( 3100 at time of purchase) and I had similar worries. My bikes recall was not completed so I had that done and while it was in the shop I had two new tires put on just because of the age of the originals. The tires did not show dry rot or excessive wear. My bike has run perfectly since the day I bought it but I have run some seafoam fuel stabilize/cleaner in the fuel and it seems to run just a tad better. I would also check the belt from proper tension and lightly lube anything that pivots. It’s likely that those points may be a bit dry.(kick stand, shift linkage, foot brake linkage, cables, rear suspension linkage etc...)

·
Administrator
14,311 Posts
change brake fluid as well.
i've seen more 950 owners have issues with belts because of belt tension being too tight than because of the front pulley nut. the manufacturer specs say the belt should be between 3-5mm of travel at 10lbs. but i think most would attest that this is too tight and has contributed directly to premature belt wear and possibly the front pulley nut problem that some have had. around 7mm seems to be the sweet spot.

·
Super Moderator
7,415 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! I can’t add much more than everyone has eluded to except that our 950’s run much better on ethanol free fuel if it’s available in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, so look at about 7mm belt tension as well. Does anyone have the torque specs for the front nut ? Again mine is a 2009 950. Unsure if its a 950 or the tour model - can't imagine there's a difference but you never know...

·
Super Moderator
3,756 Posts
Welcome from the Maritimes. I hear ya on the weather... can't wait to get mine out of storage in a couple of months (hopefully). You found the best forum for tips and advice about your 950. As you can see our members are more than willing to hep out any way they can and it looks like you've already got some good advice. 3500 km isn't even broken in and I'm sure it'll give you plenty of trouble free miles with a little preventative maintenance. Make sure to stay in touch with us and post some pics when you get her home!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For sure, I was lucky - the guy that sold her to me was going to a Harley - he basically likes nice things and keeps them in the garage and apparently likes to give things away. I'm very lucky to get the bike...

I paid the bike in full today - found out that the bike is the full touring edition, and has the engine crash bars install / highway bars. Now I just need the weather to be able to transport it. Too much ice around here now...

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,717 Posts
I paid the bike in full today - found out that the bike is the full touring edition, and has the engine crash bars install / highway bars. Now I just need the weather to be able to transport it. Too much ice around here now...

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,717 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts