Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can a yamaha be ridden without slip ons to increase exhaust sound? If yes what coul be future trouble.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,482 Posts
Notice this was you post. Would be nice to head over to the New Members Introduction Thread to post a little about yourself and bike.

As far as exhaust without slip ons, yes you can. Be advised, it will be load. Open exhaust normally doesn't have a very nice tone, in most people's opinion. Going down the road at a constant speed you will incur a loud tone that can get annoying. That's experience speaking. As far as hurting your bike: totally open exhaust can have cold air rush uninterrupted to the hot exhaust valve and actually warp the valve, uncommon, yes, possible, yes. You will lose some low in power. Proper exhaust scavenging requires a certain amount of back pressure. Removing all exhaust restrictions is not a performance gain. Another issue, if you have neighbors you like, don't start your bike too early in the morning or too late at night. It might seem I don't like load exhaust, not true. I like tuned exhaust with a nice tone. On my Vstar 1100 I had full length Cobra Slash Cut exhaust that were pretty load and true duels with load baffles on current bike.

·
1,771 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. Let us get to know you in the Introduction thread. Pictures of your bike would be nice too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Notice this was you post. Would be nice to head over to the New Members Introduction Thread to post a little about yourself and bike.

As far as exhaust without slip ons, yes you can. Be advised, it will be load. Open exhaust normally doesn't have a very nice tone, in most people's opinion. Going down the road at a constant speed you will incur a loud tone that can get annoying. That's experience speaking. As far as hurting your bike: totally open exhaust can have cold air rush uninterrupted to the hot exhaust valve and actually warp the valve, uncommon, yes, possible, yes. You will lose some low in power. Proper exhaust scavenging requires a certain amount of back pressure. Removing all exhaust restrictions is not a performance gain. Another issue, if you have neighbors you like, don't start your bike too early in the morning or too late at night. It might seem I don't like load exhaust, not true. I like tuned exhaust with a nice tone. On my Vstar 1100 I had full length Cobra Slash Cut exhaust that were pretty load and true duels with load baffles on current bike.

Thanks bro, great answer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts