Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's good to be a cruiser these days, or more correctly, to be in the business of building cruisers.

Despite the miserable economy and state of the motorcycle industry that we're all painfully familiar with, cruiser sales suffer the least, according to info from Derek Brooks, Product Planning Manager for Star Motorcycles.

During the launch of the 2010 Star Stratoliner Deluxe, Brooks pointed to industry sales data supplied by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) that highlighted how cruiser sales accounted for the largest share of total motorcycle sales in the past five years.

Cruisers outpaced all other segments by literally tens of thousands of units sold.

n December '09 cruiser sales were roughly 250,000 units according to a graph created from MIC figures; the next highest category, Sport, saw roughly 100,000 sales in that same period. Talk about your cruiser staying power.

So, not only have cruisers proven a safe product bet the past five years, as of late the bagger scene has taken off, too, allowing brands further expansion opportunities into the sales-reliable cruiser segment.

But don't take Star's word on the recent resurgence of baggers. You need only look at Victory's 2009 introduction of not one, but two hardbag-equipped models, the Cross Country and Cross Roads.

With the Stratoline Deluxe, Star is ready to ride the swelling bagger wave.

More: 2010 Star Stratoliner Deluxe Review on Motorcycle.com

·
Registered
404 Posts
I saw the strat deluxe at the minneapolis international motorcycle show. i thought it looked great. the only thing i didnt like about it was the VERY plain dash panel of the fairing. it is plain ugly. i'm not knocking the SD i just thought yamaha could have make it a little nicer to look at as your driving. Beautiful from the outside, ugly on the inside. Star needs to spif up the inside if they are going to win the bagger wars. HD has the fairing pretty figured out. Star should have tried to keep up with victory or HD on the fairing styling on the dash panel. i was really hyped up to buy the fairing for my 07 strat, if the price is right i may still try for this fairing. it fits the stream lined look of the bike perfectly and is so easy to look at. lookin at the bare bone dash all day will make it less appealing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi
very sexy bike - look awesome!
i have a question. i'm new out here and was wondering where i could get hard bags for a Vstar 6500 Custom?? seems customs are hard to get things for.... i got my bike last year and had an awesome season, i have leather bags now but don't like them. i've seen yahamas with hard bags and it looks incredible! i want to turn my little bike into a nice little cruiser -LOL
do you have any connections or help you can offer?

smiles - have a great weekend
Loreli

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hard bags

Lorile,

I see Yamaha has hard bags for the Classic. Don't know how much would be involved in making them fit a Custom. As you said you probably do not want to take the chance for a thousand dollars.

I see this company has ready to paint for $579 and gloss black for &$659 bags for the Custom. You might want to call and be sure hardware is included, I believe it is. I have seen good comments on these. Have no first hand knowledge.

http://tsukayu.com/HardbagsforVstar.html

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tsukayu Hard Bags

Loreli:

If you order your bags from Tsukayu, you will see their disclaimer explaining the mounting hardware is not included. They do however try their best to always give you the part number or reference to what you will need. Good luck in getting your bags.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here is my recently purchased 06 Strat. I take no credit for the build as this is how it was when I purchased it. The guy that put it together did a hell of job. What do ya'll think?

Fat Strat

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, I wasn't really able to contribute to this thread before I actually had my own...
Now that I am a 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe owner, and road over 1000 miles, I have to spout a few words.

Though this bike is as comfortable as it looks, it handles pretty nimbly for a 794 pound (wet) cruiser. It's not a Warrior, but it does handle well! With its low center-of-gravity, it sincerely feels lighter than it is.

I admit it could use a few nuances, like more windshield choices, some gauges and better audio options, but I'll mod my own into this one, until Yamaha (ah, I mean Star) catches up with the masses.

I'm loving it, and even the pointed signals are starting to grow on me! Stay tuned, I'll post as I make changes...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm really enjoying mine as well. I'm shocked at how well it handles. Better clearance compared to the 950 really allows me to turn it. The weight being down low allows you to muscle it around switching from left to right very easliy. Then there's motor. OH MY GOSH! My first big displacement cruiser. I'm impressed. If you get crazy you can pick the front tire off the ground. Nice grip from the rear tire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the basic '06 Strat. But its a great ride even without some of the whistles and bells. I've added an Ultimate seat, leather trunk and a bunch of chrome. I've never had a bike I enjoy riding as much But I had expected the new Delux to have more features to be more competitive with Harley and Victory especially for the price of the Delux.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I totally agree, I have the bike, and wish there were more things (like gauges and windshield options) that could be added, even aftermarket. They (YAMI) just didn't seem to think we care to watch over the details of our bikes or their engines, I guess?

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
I have the '09 Strato-S and right off only 3 things have me looking for aftermarket goodies, #1 is now off the mod list with the added lay-down license plate bracket (thanks for the tip SNYPER). The other two are a bolt on luggage rack and passenger floorboards.

The passenger floorboards are picked out but the luggage rack has me a little miffed,,,,,the one or two I've checked out on-line don't have me convinced they will actually just "bolt on".

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh really? What boards are you going with? Any pics?

I have actually been looking at the Pilot pegs, they are kinda of in between pegs and boards, and I think the design fits the lines on our Strats...

What do you think?

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
something kind of strange with those custom world floor boards - I don't see how the "down" and the "flipped up" works - something looks like it is in the way looking at the "down" position which prevents the flipped up position.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe that IS the flipped up position, the picture is taken with the bracket mount in the "up position" but laying down, for what appears to be a different application.
Make sense?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I still think I want the Pilots... Not as big and obtrusive as the boards.

Besides, they spend more time up than down, and you could sell advertising on those things, like traveling billboards man!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.