Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's high mileage well I've put 90000 miles on mine and all I've ever had to do was change the tires and oil gear oil. This bike has done me awesome. I changed clutch at 65000 but now I'm starting to get what feels like a warbling chatter from what I believe is clutch basket and recently started to lose power when bike gets hot bogging down even 3 - 5 gears now I'm in arizona and temp is now 110 and so humid is it worth/time for a rebuild and what parts should be replaced if I do

·
Super Moderator
6,006 Posts
Welcome from East Tennessee.
Have you priced the parts for repairs? I agree she has served you well, you just may have to weigh the costs for repairs.
Any pics you’d like to share with us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
If motor is giving a problem I would not rebuild it. There are plenty of good used motors on ebay for 1000.00-1500.00. I would either go that route or find a good used bike and part the one you have out. Depending on the accessories you have on your bike you may get almost what a good used one would cost.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I dont know what prices are like in the SW, but here in upstate NY you can find a Vstar less than 10 years old with less than 10k miles on it for 3 to 5 thousand easily.

Up here people buy them new, dont ride them much because of the winters, or they realize they dont like riding and dont ride them hardly at all.. and end up selling them for a fraction of what they paid.

The weird thing is, it doesnt matter if its a 650, 1100 all the way up to a Royal star or Road star - a good stock bike with low miles that is several years old, and ready to ride (good tires, maintained, does not have carbs full of goop) if you look around you can find one for $3500.

I got my Royal Star last fall, 2000 with 27k on the odo for $2400. I know its an older bike, but the guy I bought it from had it for 7 years, only put 2000 miles on it, and kept it in his garage in excellent condition.

If you are going to rebuild your engine, you need to consider all the other things that wear out with mileage: all the bearings in the wheels and suspension and steering, the shocks and springs, the exhaust....

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts