Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am a new rider and member on this forum. I was looking to buy a used Harley Sportster 48 or Iron or just a 883 for couple of months. But last week saw this 2011 Vstar 650 on Craig's list went to check it out, liked it and bought it home. Previous owner really took care of it, its in excellent shape and has only 8800 miles on it. costed me $3273 including dmv tax, registration etc for it what do you guys think?

Any recommendation about Engine guards for this bike?
thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine is an 07. Had 3,000 when i bought it this spring and now has just over 6,000. I love mine. It'll handle 80 on the highway everyday no problems. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride. Got any pics? We love pictures, lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for a crash guard or engine guard that will is large enough to even protect the gas tank for any damage when the bike is laid on the floor.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Your first post is my experience literally exactly.
I decided to get my MC license late in the summer a few years back, and realized all the MSF classes were booked till the end of the year. I had a picture of the Iron on my cell phone wall paper all winter.

In the spring I took the course, got my license, went to a Harley dealer with $3300 cash in $100 bills in my sweaty pocket... and they would not let me take ANY bike for a test ride.

Got a used 650 from original owner with almost exactly 8800 miles on it. Paid him the sweaty cash.

this is weird.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your first post is my experience literally exactly.
I decided to get my MC license late in the summer a few years back, and realized all the MSF classes were booked till the end of the year. I had a picture of the Iron on my cell phone wall paper all winter.

In the spring I took the course, got my license, went to a Harley dealer with $3300 cash in $100 bills in my sweaty pocket... and they would not let me take ANY bike for a test ride.

Got a used 650 from original owner with almost exactly 8800 miles on it. Paid him the sweaty cash.

this is weird.
Is $3000 decent price for a 2011 Vstar 650? and is it better than an HD Iron in term of reliability and ride comfort?

I don't like the look and shape of Iron, only Sportster I like is a 48.

thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
$3000 for a 2011 is a very good price. As too reliability and comfort, I have no clue as I've never owned or ridden a Harley!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Looking for a crash guard or engine guard that will is large enough to even protect the gas tank for any damage when the bike is laid on the floor.
Raptor, my 2014 650 Custom has the "MC Enterprises" highway bars and they're awesome. Really heavy-duty, and look great too! They do a very nice job of filling in the front end. If the bike topples, these bars will definitely save it! Here's a couple pics of mine.

Glen

·
Registered
364 Posts
Does the Cobra highway bars have same dimensions as MC Enterprise bars? cobra is little cheaper.

Thanks
I'm not sure about the Cobra bars. At the time, I could not get Cobras, so went with the MC Enterprises. A fellow rider once told me that he believed the Cobras have a less sharp angle to them, which he thought would allow the bike to lay over further on its side, but whether this is true or not, I couldn't tell you. Having tested mine by gently laying it over on our patio, I can tell you that these bars keep all the costly bits from getting anywhere near the ground! Hopefully someone with Cobras can chime in here...

Glen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you meant with Cobra you can tilt some more without hurting major parts? They protect more than Mc Enterprise?

Thank you very much for your prompt responses

·
Registered
364 Posts
So you meant with Cobra you can tilt some more without hurting major parts? They protect more than Mc Enterprise?

Thank you very much for your prompt responses
No, it would mean you may have a higher risk of the bike's parts hitting the concrete. If his statement is true, (and I have no way of knowing) it means that the Cobra bars would possibly allow the bike to lay over further before the bars touch the ground... meaning a higher risk of damaging the bike. (allow the bike to go over further on its side) I cannot verify if this is true or not, as I am not familiar with the Cobra bars at all, but if they are in fact less sharply angled (at the bend... the section of bar that would first touch the ground) then the MCs would be the better choice. But as I said, I'm only going by what one person once told me. I wish I could be of more help, but all I can say with certainty is that the MC Enterprises bars do just as they are supposed to, and appear to be of very high quality.

Glen

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Is $3000 decent price for a 2011 Vstar 650? and is it better than an HD Iron in term of reliability and ride comfort?
I pretty much look at the mileage on the bike. If its been kept indoors I dont worry about how old it is.

VS650 is about $6500 new out the door if you get a good deal (end of the year)
The bike is good for at least 50,000 miles or more

so $3k for a bike that is less than 20% "used up". I will take that deal anyday.

Consumer reports started tracking owner experience with MC's a few years. For reliability Vstar cruisers are at the top of the list, and HD is 2nd from the bottom (BMW has the worse reliability).

So yeah, I am thankful the HD dealer blew me off with my handfull of $100 bills and I ended up at a Yamaha Dealer looking at their V twins. There is a chinese proverb, when you think something bad has just happened to you, maybe its a good thing...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bike looks brand new, looked like it was kept in the garage all the time. I was about to buy HD 48 used for $7200, it was a 2014 but lot of scratches and not maintained properly. As you said it was good that I couldn't make a deal with HD owner?

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Ironically, even though HD has the second lowest reliability experience (in CR tracking), they have one of the highest "joy of ownership experience" rating or whatever they call it.

So even though their bikes are un-ride-able from time to time, they are so happy to be a Harley Owner they apparently dont care.

Maybe its a different culture. Maybe calling you buddy to bring the pickup truck to come get you on the side of the highway, and then hanging out at the harley dealer and looking at the tee shirts and boots while they fix your bike... Maybe its a male bonding ritual thing...

I dont get it myself.

I like to ride, and I usually ride alone. I find when Im riding with others I spend most of my time looking at the bike in front of me, matching their speed....

When Im out riding on the two lanes with no center line and going wherever I feel like, thats my joy and peace.

Not having to worry about my bike crapping out on me in the middle of nowhere, is a big part of that experience.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Check the tires carefully as 8,000 is on the edge of needing new tires on a 650 custom, if they have not been changed already.
The tires are the only thing between you ass and the pavement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts