Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

With spring fast approaching I'm looking at three big upgrades for my 950T. I've been looking at several full exhaust systems along with the matching air intake and fuel processors.

I really like the Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 but I haven't been able to find any information regarding the fit on a 950T. Does anyone have any experience on this system with the stock saddlebags?

After hearing a few full systems without the baffles on a 950 I think I will be leaning towards a quiet baffle setup. I want the improved sound over the stock system without having to yell through the intercom to have a conversation with my wife.

I'm not looking for a huge gain in HP, nor am I looking to dump a ton of fuel efficiency in the process. Here's a setup I've been milling over minus the quiet baffles I'd have to purchase. Any recommendations would be appreciated. If anyone is looking to get rid of a full setup let me know! Thanks!

https://www.denniskirk.com/slash-down-hot-rod-speedster-exhaust.p4403847.prd/4403847.sku

https://www.denniskirk.com/fi2000r-o2-fuel-processor.p209230.prd/209230.sku

https://www.denniskirk.com/chrome-powrflo-air-intake.p186194.prd/186194.sku

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Hi Stose, I own an 09' 950t, and I upgraded my exhaust, air kit, and added a fuel processor since these bikes are fuel injected. I'd heard several systems on the 950's. The 2 into 2 looks cool, yet for me they were way too loud without installing aftermarket baffles. I went with the cobra 4" slip-on, and love the sound. I saw a marginal difference in performance, and no noticeable difference in mileage. I wanted more, so I bought cobras fuel processor, the f2000i, and the LA choppers XXX open air kit. After I installed both of those, different bike, even with the stock emissions in place. After my Memphis shades batwing install, it performed better as the wind was going around me, and not hitting me directly like with the stock tall windshield, but those were my experiences, some one else may have different ones. When these bikes are built, they are very lean to pass epa regulations. When you let those engines open up and breathe, they can keep up with larger bikes with minimal loss if any in mileage. This spring I'll be having my bike dyno'd and dialed in locally. I'll post the results once I've completed it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Thanks Keith!

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Sure gfl. For mine the green pot setting should be 2.5. Yellow pot 6, and the red pot 3. I tweaked the green to run at 3. After I have it dyno'd, I'll post any changes to the pot settings. Hope this answers your question.

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
i've got the V&H big radius pipes and the cobra controller. i can say that i haven't had any trouble communicating with passengers over the sound of these pipes. most of the sound is projected away from the bike. it's not too loud at lower speeds, and at highway speeds, the wind noise is going to be much louder than the pipes anyway to inhibit normal speaking voices.

as for fit, i have no clearance issues with my soft bags which are 12" high. these pipes curve downward near the end.

i have my cobra pot settings at something like 2/3/3 (i'm guessing since i haven't looked in a long time). with these upgrades and a LA Choppers XXX air kit, i saw my fuel mileage drop about 10 miles per gallon from the stock setup. i've got a heavier wrist than most, so that may account for some of that. but i gained significant performance with them. as said earlier, it becomes a different bike. quicker and more aggressive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thanks for including the pots settings, I've always thought it would be cool to know what is working for other people, especially those that can run theirs on a dyno.

me, I've only got an air kit, and drilled exhaust at this point, and very little riding time to work with to dial everything in.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
I'm looking forward to running my 950 on a dyno this spring. Theres only one place nearby that'll do it. It's costs around $300 and you have to leave your bike all day with a full tank of gas. When it's dialed in, I'll post all the results. As bevo posted earlier it's a more aggressive and quicker bike at this point . I know I've lost some mileage and I'm ok with that. I'm not afraid to twist the right wrist a bit, yet I don't want the mileage to drop out out of the 40 ' s. With the air kit and drilled exhaust gfl, you should be feeling a little more grunt. Now if the rain, sleet, and snow will go away, I'll be just fine to get mine back out on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts