Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, recently upgraded to a vstar 950 from a 650, its a 2012 model with only 3900 miles on it. Looks brand new but the rear turn signals are little loose, looks like they came out of the housing. Is it easy to fix them? do I just need to open the assembly and put them in place?

BTW, paid $3500 and it came with mustang tripper seat along with stock seats, 2 helmets (may be $100 value for both) and battery tender ($25 value). Is it a decent deal? bike is like brand new.

Ordered K&N air filter for the bike, does it improve performance little bit? or its just marketing hype?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Not sure about the air filter, but you got a great deal on that bike. I paid 7k for mine 7 months ago. Same mileage all bone stock.

·
Super Moderator
6,391 Posts
I think you got a decent deal. The k&n helps, anything is better than a paper filter, yet I found the 950s love an open air filter kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,391 Posts
No, and it's ok. Companies like Cobra and many others make good kits. I bought a slightly used XXX LA choppers open air filter kit off eBay for around $100. The k&n filter was $65. The difference in cost was well worth it. The kit after installation made the most noticeable performance improvement for me. The factory one is very restrictive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, and it's ok. Companies like Cobra and many others make good kits. I bought a slightly used XXX LA choppers open air filter kit off eBay for around $100. The k&n filter was $65. The difference in cost was well worth it. The kit after installation made the most noticeable performance improvement for me. The factory one is very restrictive.

So I can still use K&N with these kits? reason I am asking is if I wanna go for the kit later, K&N doesn't go for waste.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,391 Posts
The aftermarket filters and stock factory filters are different designs. You can effectively use the k&n for now until you want to get a kit. I have a factory altered air box with a k&n filter I used for several months before I bought the aftermarket kit. If you're interested, just pm me for more info. My 950 is a 2009 model and the 2012s are the same as the 2009s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The aftermarket filters and stock factory filters are different designs. You can effectively use the k&n for now until you want to get a kit. I have a factory altered air box with a k&n filter I used for several months before I bought the aftermarket kit. If you're interested, just pm me for more info. My 950 is a 2009 model and the 2012s are the same as the 2009s.

Thank you very much..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, Whats the deal with the rear direction lights, on my bike they are loose. Looks like they came out of the housing, is it possible to just open the housing and re-adjust them or they are broken?

Please advice.

thanks

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
@Raptor3000 I think you got a hell of a deal. But bikes in New England, Massachusetts in particular, may typically cost more than other parts of the country.

I simply added a K&N to my bike. I wanted to see if it would make a difference without spending the money and time to replace the whole airbox. I definitely noticed a difference in performance after placing the in K&N filter in there. Seemed to have a little more torque throughout the rev range. It even gave my bike a more throaty sound, (slightly). So I can imagine that a whole air intake upgrade would probably be sweet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2009 950 and it has the same style of turn signal lights. When I bought mine, they were dangling down and sperated where the chrome and rubber on the light connects. I took them off the bike and found that the hole where the 2 wires come out of the light and go thru the black rubber has a small screw in the bas of it. If you take the screw out of it you can seperate the black rubber piece from the light. In my case, the metal strap that holds the black rubber piece on it was bent. I straightened the metal strap out and put it back together and it looks like a new light.
So, IMHO, I would recommend you get your tools out and spend some quality time working on your bike fixing the small items on it. If you pay attention to what you are doing, you will do fine, if you do not pay attention, then you will have a beautiful yard ornament to display this summer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal! I bought mine off an individual that worked for a local Yamaha dealership parts department in February 2017. I paid $4200 for a 2012 XVS950 and it only had 2,500 miles on it and I thought it was a great deal compared to others I saw on Craigslist so I jumped on it. I have the Cobra Slip on (came with the bike) and Fi2000R, but have the stock air filter and was looking into this for my next upgrade and according to some of the replies it looks to be well worth it.

There are so many to choose from so keep the posts coming on your experiences!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts