Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for the group…I’ve noticed my fuel mileage dropping off pretty steep in recent weeks. I’ve had the bike since new and currently has 9500 on the clock. This current tank I’m on now it’s down to 1/4 tank and not even at 100 miles yet. There’s no check engine light signifying a problem, last time I ran the self diagnosis called out in the service manual nothing appeared to be abnormal. This winter I changed the plugs and air filter and I’ve always run fuel stabilizer when in storage. There’s a gas station near my house that sells 100% no-ethanol gas in it and that’s what I’ve run for several years.

The only thing that seems strange is right at start the idle drops off very slow, almost like the engine’s going to cut out but the idle recovers a few seconds later and when I’m sitting at the light the idle seems high. The service manual calls for hooking up a tach and testing the timing but I don’t have that equipment, yet. Any insight on what I can check before turning it over to a shop would be very helpful.

Thanks, and ride safe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 that I bought used, I was getting about 18 mpg at first. I found the TPS was off, a small adjustment and it was better. My problem was the fuel pump had cracked and was loosing pressure, someone had adjusted the TPS to keep it running. It ran like crap and got terrible gas mileage. I have read on other forums that the Throttle Postioning Sensor could negatively effect mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2009 that I bought used, I was getting about 18 mpg at first. I found the TPS was off, a small adjustment and it was better. My problem was the fuel pump had cracked and was loosing pressure, someone had adjusted the TPS to keep it running. It ran like crap and got terrible gas mileage. I have read on other forums that the Throttle Postioning Sensor could negatively effect mpg.
That makes sense…I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts