Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I am not able to get the bike started. I have scoured the internet for answers and came across some valuable information. However not to solve my problem.

Here is what I have done so far. About a month ago, Bike had a hard time starting in morning before work. However it did start and I had a nice ride to work. At lunch I had same issue, bike would not start. I checked all basic troubleshooting and still could not get it to start. So I called a tow truck to bring her home.

Got my trusty battery tester out and battery checked out fine at 11.7 volts. So I hooked up to charge overnight. In the morning still no luck. All I would hear is a clicking noise. I would press the starter then “Click Click Click“ So I checked all fuses and replaced all of them just to be safe, Replaced the solenoid. Removed, cleaned and tested starter motor. hooked everything back up went to crank the bike and again, click click click. (What The ****) So I said screw it lets try jumping the bike, it could not be that simple. Sure enough she starts right up and purrs real nice. Okay so I replaced the battery, bike started right up. I put in fresh oil, filter and air filter and went for a light and easy ride for a couple hours and put the bike up. She ran great for a week and then other day would not start. She would crank nicely however will not turn over. I checked battery and all wires, fuses, etc. All good. No more clicking just a cranking noise and then nothing. Scoured the internet again and made sure it had fuel and fuel was on. Still nothing. So I replaced the spark plugs thinking I am not getting any spark. That brings us to tonight. I went to start her up and still the same cranking noise but no ignition.

Here is the thing. I dropped her into first gear pulled the clutch and hit the starter. She lurched forward a couple of feet and then stopped. I backed up and repeated the same actions however this time holding the starter. She lurched again as if trying to go but not catching. At this point I am at a loss and here looking for help.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
So , let me see if I understand. The motor is turning with the starter but not firing. Plug a spark plug, turning it over can you smell gas going into cylinder? Holding the spark plug with insulated pliers against head, do you see a spark when cranking engine?
no gas smell from cylinder , find out why.
no spark check ignition pick up , ignition module , coil

write back and tell us

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
A couple things come to mind. If the battery drops too low in voltage it will not spark. If it worked with new battery and slowly went bad it sounds like it might be a voltage regulator/rectifier. Does the battery take a full charge? I would charge the battery full and if it starts take the charger off and see if the voltage is up. Should be about 14 volts when running. The other thing that comes to mind is bad Negative battery ground on the frame. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Morning y’all. Thank you for quick reply’s.

Yes, I hear the motor turning but it is not firing. Fairly new to engine terminology but learning as I go. Thank you.

I unplugged the spark plug and definitely smelled gasoline on the plug. When I cranked though I saw no spark. I will check from there after work today And get back to you.

Battery is a couple of weeks old now, hooked up the charger and it got to full charge in about 15 minutes. I am using the Megaboost 4000 Charger and Maintainer.

Where/what is the Ignition pick up, ignition module and coil. I am fairly new to the actual names of engine parts and have been learning as I go.

Thank you again for the responses.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
what is the history of the bike?

did you just get it?

has it been parked for a few months, and if so was the fuel stabilized with Stabil or Seafoam BEFORE it was parked?

it could be your fuel went bad and gummed things up in the carbs

you said it was hard to start before it got to the point where it would only click click click

if everything is good on the bike when its cold in the morning you should be able to pull the choke all the way out, turn the ignition on till the fuel pump stops humming, and hit the starter with NO throttle - and it should fire up within 1 to 2 seconds. That is normal for these bikes. As soon as it starts push the choke in about half way.

If it was not doing that before, and its not starting now, something was wrong all along

A full tune up is necessary - clean gapped new plugs, replace your air filter if it is not white like this screen, either check your compression or do a valve adjustment if you dont know when it was done last.

The quick and simple thing, if your spark plugs are not black, I would drain the tank, get fresh gas, put about 5 ounces of seafoam in a full tank and see if it starts.

Its also possible your fuel pump has failed - if so the bike will run on a full tank, but it wont run if the tank is less than half full.

Like others have said, if the battery is drained down because you keep cranking it, or the bike is not charging it, it will get down to about 10 to 11V while cranking, and that is not enough for the electronic ignition to fire the plugs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is the history of the bike?

did you just get it?

has it been parked for a few months, and if so was the fuel stabilized with Stabil or Seafoam BEFORE it was parked?

it could be your fuel went bad and gummed things up in the carbs

you said it was hard to start before it got to the point where it would only click click click

if everything is good on the bike when its cold in the morning you should be able to pull the choke all the way out, turn the ignition on till the fuel pump stops humming, and hit the starter with NO throttle - and it should fire up within 1 to 2 seconds. That is normal for these bikes. As soon as it starts push the choke in about half way.

If it was not doing that before, and its not starting now, something was wrong all along

A full tune up is necessary - clean gapped new plugs, replace your air filter if it is not white like this screen, either check your compression or do a valve adjustment if you dont know when it was done last.

The quick and simple thing, if your spark plugs are not black, I would drain the tank, get fresh gas, put about 5 ounces of seafoam in a full tank and see if it starts.

Its also possible your fuel pump has failed - if so the bike will run on a full tank, but it wont run if the tank is less than half full.

Like others have said, if the battery is drained down because you keep cranking it, or the bike is not charging it, it will get down to about 10 to 11V while cranking, and that is not enough for the electronic ignition to fire the plugs.
Hey there KCW.

I am the original owner of the bike. It’s a 2013. Ran great since I got it. Regular interval maintenance.

The longest it sits without running is 12-16 hours. It is my daily commute bike.

Fuel was just put in night before I started having problems.

Choke not issue. In our out is same result.

Has new plugs, oil and filter, air filter.

Battery is only couple weeks new and I keep it fully charged.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
very often the last thing done before problems started, that is the cause

you could have bad gas, full of water (like when they fill the station tanks during a down pour)

simply on the fact that the bike was good until the tank was filled, that makes watery gas the most likely culprit

sometimes the truck driver really screws up, and starts putting diesel in the gas plumbing, then goes OHCRAP and doesnt tell anyone

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it’s that simple I’m gonna be laughing. Okay. I will drain the gas from the bike and put fresh in tonight. Also gonna back track all work I did and check for now connected wires.
Thanks y’all. Sure is a nice group we gots on here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Evening all.

So I drained all the gas from the tank got it nice and dry. Put new gas in the tank, It is completely full.

Followed all wires and they are all good except for the brake light. Ordered new wire for that to just go ahead and replace. Tested compression and its good. Still no spark when I test the plugs. I am at a complete loss right now.

I have a new sound when trying to start. It sounds like a flame in the wind (kind of like a flutter flutter) when I am pressing the starter. Still heat the engine turning, but still no actual ignition. She still lurches forward when in first gear with clutch pulled while the starter is pressed. Tried to push start it down my drive with no luck either.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
there is an in line spark tester you can get from any autoparts store

its like a neon tube that goes in series with the spark plug - it lights up and gives an indication of how strong the spark it

they are not expensive, less than $10 if i remember right

like this: 90° In-Line Spark Checker

the lurching in 1st gear is the clutch plate is hydrolocked from sitting - mine does that just about every morning - once you get the bike running it will break free the first time you drop it in gear.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
375 Posts
When I cranked though I saw no spark. I will check from there after work today And get back to you.
Dumb question - when you cranked with the spark plug removed, did you ground the tip of the spark plug against a metallic surface of the bike?. Only reason I am asking, is because I saw a post in another forum where a member removed the spark plug, cranked the bike while holding the spark in one hand (just holding the plug without grounding the tip) and mentioned he was not getting a spark.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dumb question - when you cranked with the spark plug removed, did you ground the tip of the spark plug against a metallic surface of the bike?. Only reason I am asking, is because I saw a post in another forum where a member removed the spark plug, cranked the bike while holding the spark in one hand (just holding the plug without grounding the tip) and mentioned he was not getting a spark.
Not a dumb question. I laid the spark plug flat against the cylinder fins before I hit the starter

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is an in line spark tester you can get from any autoparts store

its like a neon tube that goes in series with the spark plug - it lights up and gives an indication of how strong the spark it

they are not expensive, less than $10 if i remember right

like this: 90° In-Line Spark Checker

the lurching in 1st gear is the clutch plate is hydrolocked from sitting - mine does that just about every morning - once you get the bike running it will break free the first time you drop it in gear.
Thanks. I found one on amazon for about 4 bucks. Will get it tonight and try it out. Then I’ll let y’all know

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Just curious if you checked the plug wires for continuity? Regarding the sound it is not because the carb is stuck wide open is it. Reason I ask is my brother in law put a part in the carb upside down in an old Yamaha 80. Sounded funny when kicking it over...Would not start at all. Good luck

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,536 Posts
Here's chart for plug wire resistance if needed.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Please excuse how long this post is , this is straight from the Yamaha Service manual for the XVS 650 for trouble shooting the entire ignition system. The ignitor unit if needed replace is the little 2 wire pick up next to the stator under the left side front engine cover.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good Morning y’all. Thank you for quick reply’s.

Yes, I hear the motor turning but it is not firing. Fairly new to engine terminology but learning as I go. Thank you.

I unplugged the spark plug and definitely smelled gasoline on the plug. When I cranked though I saw no spark. I will check from there after work today And get back to you.

Battery is a couple of weeks old now, hooked up the charger and it got to full charge in about 15 minutes. I am using the Megaboost 4000 Charger and Maintainer.

Where/what is the Ignition pick up, ignition module and coil. I am fairly new to the actual names of engine parts and have been learning as I go.

Thank you again for the responses.
Check the voltage regulator

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good Morning Y'all,

So I tested all electrical parts with the meter, everything tested within acceptable ranges. However when I tested for the spark, by pressing the starter and looking for an arc, there was none. I ordered and installed new caps for the spark plugs got them all connected and still no spark.

I drained the gas from the tank and carbs, put fresh fuel in and still nothing. Could there be a problem with the fuel delivery system? How would I check for that?

While I had everything off of the bike, I noticed a small crack in my exhaust pipes. It is right next to the welded cross bar between the two pipes, but on the pipe that runs off of the forward head. Could that be keeping it from starting? I do not see how it would however I am uneducated on if that will affect the pressure of the engine.

Again, thank you all for your support. I do appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts