Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XVS650 Custom Liquid Silver
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys. New to the forum, only had my new girl about 48 hours. Realized I posted this question in the new members section. Saw a video on removing the baffle with a 2" bore saw and a long screwdriver on YouTube on a 2010. Will the same thing work on the 2014 and will I have to rejet?

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,905 Posts
The same technique will work on your bike. If you only change the exhaust then rejet is not needed. When you change the intake is when you need to rejet. Word of caution, some folks are not happy with the exhaust tone after gutting them. It's definitely louder, but sounds a lot like a tin can. You can Google for sound clips to make sure it's what you want. Once you cut them out, no going back. You will experience some decel popping when you open the exhaust up, normally reduced by turning the PSM screws out a bit.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I did this to mine and it wasnt that bad of sound. Yes a little tinny as stated above. I wanted a deeper tone and ended up with some Hard Kromes in the end.

I did the cut mod that is found on another forum.. Mine had the cats in the exhaust so once I cut about 5" off everything just slid out.....so I trimmed it back a little and then tacked welded the baffles back in.

Hell if you were close to the NW would just give you the exhaust to try out......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The same technique will work on your bike. If you only change the exhaust then rejet is not needed. When you change the intake is when you need to rejet. Word of caution, some folks are not happy with the exhaust tone after gutting them. It's definitely louder, but sounds a lot like a tin can. You can Google for sound clips to make sure it's what you want. Once you cut them out, no going back. You will experience some decel popping when you open the exhaust up, normally reduced by turning the PSM screws out a bit.
Thanks so much for the quick reply. This has to be the friendliest forum I've come across for just about anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did this to mine and it wasnt that bad of sound. Yes a little tinny as stated above. I wanted a deeper tone and ended up with some Hard Kromes in the end.

I did the cut mod that is found on another forum.. Mine had the cats in the exhaust so once I cut about 5" off everything just slid out.....so I trimmed it back a little and then tacked welded the baffles back in.

Hell if you were close to the NW would just give you the exhaust to try out......
When you say tinny, is it as bad as the 3 hole mod? And I know the magic of video editing is abundant but all of the videos sound bot

When you say tinny, is it as bad as the 3 hole sounds? Cause if it is super noticeable I dont know if I wanna do it. I just live in CA and I've wanted the cobra slash slip ons but literally everywhere is sold out of em. Plus I dont have the $480 for those and then another $400 for carb tuning. But thank you for the quick reply. The people on this forum are so friendly.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I don’t think it was as tinny as the 3 hole. Reason why is the way I did mine was pretty much a straight shot out the end with the exhaust. I just wanted a deeper tone and did not get that with the mod.

here is a pic of the aftermath.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t think it was as tinny as the 3 hole. Reason why is the way I did mine was pretty much a straight shot out the end with the exhaust. I just wanted a deeper tone and did not get that with the mod.

here is a pic of the aftermath.
View attachment 98301
As far as ascetic that looks pretty good. Im sorry the mod couldn't get you the sound ya wanted. I bet those hard kromes worked out in the end better. Im gonna call em and see if their models will fit mine. It says up to 12. Otherwise, think I may just wait till the cobras come back in stock.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
As far as ascetic that looks pretty good. Im sorry the mod couldn't get you the sound ya wanted. I bet those hard kromes worked out in the end better. Im gonna call em and see if their models will fit mine. It says up to 12. Otherwise, think I may just wait till the cobras come back in stock.
Thanks they did not look to bad but in the end wanted black pipes so that was another reason to switch.

The Cobras I think are available through Parts Giant but not sure. I was looking at those also but then found the Hard Kromes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You seem really knowledgeable on these motorcycles. Do you know where the cats are located, and what would happen if I were to remove them?

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,905 Posts
The catalytic converters are integral to the stock mufflers. The emissions would be affected if you remove them.

Reactions: Stmrjhn

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Ok so I think when I put it together I didn’t get it lined up the same way.....when I slid it out it was a perforated tube wrapped in a cloth of some type. May see it in the pics. But you can see the honey comb stuff in there. I pretty much took the last chamber off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.