Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XVS650 Custom Liquid Silver
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys, put a thread up about this yesterday. Im an idiot because I didn't know what crank meant. So I can turn the key and get electrical on, no check engine light. Bike in neutral. Hit the starter and it goes, go to crack the throttle and the engine won't start. It doesn't even sputter, only sound is just the starter doing its thing. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,617 Posts
So it cranks but doesn't start? I would test for spark first. Here's a video showing a quick way to check for spark, post back results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there is spark ...

Is the petcock in the on position? (If this model has one.) If not petcock, is fuel flowing freely?

Ride smart! Ride often!
That'll be the thing I check after spark. I can say I was getting fuel because it was running fine the day before then I went to start it the next morning and this issue started

·
Registered
639 Posts
well guys, put a thread up about this yesterday. Im an idiot because I didn't know what crank meant. So I can turn the key and get electrical on, no check engine light. Bike in neutral. Hit the starter and it goes, go to crack the throttle and the engine won't start. It doesn't even sputter, only sound is just the starter doing its thing. Any ideas?
it sounds like you are new to the 650 and you mention cracking the throttle to start. Are you aware that there is a choke that sometimes needs to be used for starting? It is located just below the front of the seat on the left side.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it sounds like you are new to the 650 and you mention cracking the throttle to start. Are you aware that there is a choke that sometimes needs to be used for starting? It is located just below the front of the seat on the left side.
View attachment 98799
Yes I am aware of the choke. Usually if I have the choke full on and just hit the starter it won't go. I need to hit the throttle a little to get it to start then the choke takes over. Is that not normal?

·
8,617 Posts
No, should be able to pull choke all the way on cold days, have way on other days, etc and just hit the start switch. You might have a fuel issue but let's start with a simple spark test, then progress from there.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
639 Posts
cant say what normal is but my 650 likes full choke especially on cooler mornings. Run it for 30 secs then start out on half choke then close choke after riding for less than a half mile. Sometimes when its warmer it will start without choke or 1/2 choke. I dont use the throttle at all til I go to half choke. Maybe Les can advise if cracking the throttle defeats the choke.
Combustion needs air, fuel and ignition spark. As others have suggested make sure you have spark if you still cant start.

Reactions: Stmrjhn

·
Registered
639 Posts
I should add that mine fires up after the 2nd or 3rd try. i use short bursts, and dont just continue to crank on her.

Reactions: Stmrjhn

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
561 Posts
My 650 will not start unless I crack the throttle in addition to using the choke, but I suspect that can be down to the defect TPS. That will have to be confirmed when the new TPS arrives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, should be able to pull choke all the way on cold days, have way on other days, etc and just hit the start switch. You might have a fuel issue but let's start with a simple spark test, then progress from there.
Apologies for the late reply. Working in EMS leads to wierd hours. So I did the plug test and it didn't work. Replaced the plugs with DPR7EA-9 plugs as per ngk recommendation, plugged em into the bike, hit start, and still nothing. The starter does its thing but no life from the bike with or without the choke.

·
8,617 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts