Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i ride my bike to work 30 miles one way and I noticed several spots on the blacktop where i park my bike that fuel has dripped from my overflow tube. The odd thing is I parked the bike in my basement with no sign of leakage. Any ideals?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,587 Posts
Is your bike parked in the sun at work? The sun will heat the fuel and it expands. All tanks are vented for this purpose. When it's in the garage the sun is not on gas tank. Next time you ride to work open you gas cap to relieve any internal pressure. Then look to see if fuel leaked out, or was it less that normal, if so you know what the issue is. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is parked in the sun and it has been hot 90+, however i never had this issue with my Vstar 1100. Could it be a my gas cap not venting correctly?

·
6,587 Posts
Almost all bikes will vent fuel under the right conditions. Take a look at your intro post for another good response. I ride an 1100 and it vents from time to time. Just pop gas tank to vent before leaving it in the sun for an extended time.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Jpgburg, despite the heat we've been experiencing something's still not right about fuel leaking. Have you checked your carbs float height? If set too high it'll increase the chance of fuel venting through the vent/overflow tubes.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
If you filled the gas tank to the brim then parked it in the sun, the gas will expand in the heat and it has to go somethere.

If that is not the case, if you know the tank is not completely full, then you need to look for the leak.

Is this a California bike maybe? They have more venting/overflow hardware than bikes sold in the rest of the US. Its also possible you have a loose hose clamp somewhere on a fuel hose, and its just dribbling down the overflow tube.

If your are sure its coming out the overflow tube, if you can see it coming out, pop the gas cap and see if it stops? If it does then your tank vent is plugged up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a CA bike and Im sure its coming out of over flow tube . Is the tank vent located on the fuel cap itself? I will definetly try leaving the gas cap popped open next time i ride.Thanks to all for all the help!

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
If your garage floor is concrete you will not see a gas leak on the floor. Unleaded gas evaporates away completely, leaving no trace on concrete.

The asphalt pavement on a driveway or parking lot will interact with the gas, and look discolored under a gas leak, after the gas has evaporated.

So maybe it is dripping in your garage too.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
cardboard and maybe scribble on it a bit with a Sharpie so the gas will wick the ink.

·
6,587 Posts
Don't ride with gas cap popped. Just pop it to relieve pressure after you ride it. Gas coming out of tank onto crotch doesn't feel good, ask me how I know. ��

1 - 15 of 15 Posts