Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this motorcycle four days ago with only 2,500 miles on it from an elderly gentleman and it had been riding fine up until last night. I had noticed the smell of a little bit of fresh gas every once in a while but thought nothing of it. I was at a stop sign, put the bike in first and started to accelerate. Everything seemed fine until I put it in second and realized it had virtually no acceleration and was being extremely sluggish and slow. I slowed down and put it back in the first gear and it seemed to have almost no power in first gear now either. I pulled over and noticed that the bike definitely didn’t sound right (it sounds like “clink clink clink clink”) Turned the bike off because I thought maybe I just flooded one of the cylinders. Gave it thirty minutes and problems were still there. Decided to limp it back home where I had a friend come over who said it sounded like the cylinder was misfiring. So, I used a compression tester and I’m getting zero compression out of the second cylinder.

What should I do!? Planning on running seafoam through it and adjusting the valves but if you have any other ideas my ears are open.

If you have any advice or experience in this I would really appreciate your insight!

I’ve been searching on the Internet trying to get as much specific information as possible but there is very little on the subject matter for this specific bike that I’ve been able to find.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Check Valve clearances?
Extremely dirty or stuck valve(s)?
Is everything seated correctly that is supposed to be. No holes in anything causing an air leak?

Just thoughts off the top of my head.

Ride smart. Ride often!

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,161 Posts
Sounds like a valve is stuck open. Other than that only a hole in piston would result in zero compression. @Scrumdown is correct. Are you sure release valve on compression tester wasn't stuck open? It's happened to me before causing false compression readings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a valve is stuck open. Other than that only a hole in piston would result in zero compression. @Scrumdown is correct. Are you sure release valve on compression tester wasn't stuck open? It's happened to me before causing false compression readings.
So, took off both the valve covers and discovered that the adjustment screw and nut for the problem cylinder was not attached! It somehow came off and was just sitting inside the valve housing!! The screw and the nut were fine, so we put them back on (thank god they didn’t fall down into it) with what I think is the proper gap at .005 but the only real reference for that I could find was the gap for a virago so we went ahead and gapped it at that. Now maybe we put the wrong gap but it sounded a bit better when we started it, but we still have basically no compression from that spark plug hole.

·
13,161 Posts
Can you leave the tappet cover off, hit starter a little (DO NOT START) to watch the rocker, does it move up and down? Also, gap is off, Intake valve gap should be .10mm. Exhaust valve gap should be .12mm. Here's a detailed write up on valve adjustment:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Not to get too far of topic. But, @lesblank do you know off the top of your head, how many star models have the hydraulic valve-lifting system?
I know my 2000 RS 1600 Silverado has it. It's nice.

Ride smart. Ride often!

·
13,161 Posts
Unfortunately I don't. But believe on the Yamaha V-twins all 1600 and up are push rod - hydraulic lifter design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts