Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VSTAR 950 makes the famous sewing machine sound when it gets warned up. Been doing this since new. It has 13k miles, so it’s approaching the 16k valve adjustment time. Has anyone ever gotten rid of this noise by adjusting the valves? Do any of you not have the sewing machine sound coming from the valve train?

Regards

Kurt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after the valves are well seated you can set the lash to the tighter end of the spec, there should be just a hint of a tick when adjusted right, most shops won't do that because they don't want the responsibility of burning a valve, I do it because i can tell right away if the valve clearance gets too tight by the way the engine pulls then readjust before the valve burns exhaust valve clearances usually get tighter over time and stop ticking and intakes clearances get wider making a lot of noise, the longer a valve sits on its seat the more heat will dissipate out of it, the wider your clearances the cooler they run, part of the reason i got a roadstar is hydraulic lifters i adjusted those only once and that was only because i changed out the lifters, with roller rockers sometime you just cannot get those quiet, for what it's worth 16,000 is way too long for a first valve clearance check, i would check them after the engine break in, I don't trust the factory set them right the first time, when i opened the 650 to change 5th gear i found they pressed the gear on the shaft almost 1/32" too far which caused a whine over time
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts