Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the VS650 out of the garage, checked the tires, and it started right up on the first spin. Took it for a quick ride about a mile.

Temps in the 60s this afternoon after work, suppose to be 50 tomorrow morning and 65 after work.

Riding in Feb is very unusual in Upstate NY!

·
Registered
297 Posts
KCW wow! From upstate NY myself but in CT right now. Be careful of sand and salt that stays until 2-3 good down pours of rain. That is encouraging just the same! Maybe we will have an early Spring!! Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had mine out saturday here in PA. Roads weren't too bad tho i stuck to mostly main roads. She's now back under the tarp but i left windshield and seat on incase weather stays nice.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
Tomorrow here, near 70, however next ten days shows seven with of them with rain. Upper 30s at night, guess the 950t will stay in storage a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've put in around 500 miles so far this year in Ohio. We were out all day last Saturday, it was sunny and upper 60s all day.

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
Unusually warm and sunny here yesterday and today (10C or 50F) and I have to say I was tempted. For all you southerners that's downright balmy in Canada for Feb. If not for the 3 feet of snow we got last week I might have pulled her out for little spin. Salt and potential for icy spots are a little scary and the melting snow makes the roads wet. Probably best she stays tucked away for a while longer.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Tomorrow here, near 70, however next ten days shows seven with of them with rain. Upper 30s at night, guess the 950t will stay in storage a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aaaah Punkin I feel for ya. Wanna trade places for a bit? Wouldn't mind RIDING in the rain just about now ;). You'd get used to the four and a half feet of snow we have here up in the Great White North eh.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Went on a ride today with my son. Rode the back roads about 125 miles round trip. Starting to bond with my new 1300 tourer. I've put 350 miles on it since I got it two weeks ago. Weather here in MD is breaking records (in a good way for this southern boy). Supposed to be in the mid-high 70s tomorrow so I'll probably put another hundred or so miles on here. I need to really get a feel for the bike before rolling thunder in a couple of months.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I realized riding to work thursday morning that 50F in the fall is not the same as 50F in the spring.

In the fall its dry, in the spring its near the dew point, makes a big difference.

Still great to be back on 2 wheels, if just for one day.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Out this morning for a short ride. Temps in low 50s. Mid 60s tomorrow and high 70s on Wed but rain and T-storms both day. Extremely unusual for this area during Feb. Setting records almost every few days. Unfortunately, after being almost 80 degrees on Wednesday, it drops to a chilly 40+ on Thursday morning when I leave for warmer climates. I figure I can hang in for the first couple of hours and by then I'll be further south and 15-20 degrees warmer.

Here's a shot of the new 1300 and my old (2004) 1100. I pulled the sissy bar off for the trip. Won't be needing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Dug up this thread from last year. Took my first ride for 2018 today - temp 55F, rode about 25miles.

Noticed its two days later than my first ride last year. We had a couple days near 70F already this year in Jan and Feb but it was wet. When the ground is still frozen the moisture condenses on the streets and they stay wet until the sun has been out for a few hours.

Forecast for this week looks promising - might get to ride to work 2 or 3 days.

Its funny, Feb 25 is just as far away from the winter solstice as October 17, but it does not seem the same.

Maybe I will get to ride to work everyday from now till thanksgiving? (not very likely!)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,891 Posts
Great to hear weather is getting better for you. It has rained 6 out of last 7 days here in Houston. I'm tired of riding in the rain. My bike is so dirty.

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
Great to hear weather is getting better for you. It has rained 6 out of last 7 days here in Houston. I'm tired of riding in the rain. My bike is so dirty.
Mine only has... sniff... dust from... sitting in the shed... sniff... since November :crying:

·
Registered
699 Posts
We have been getting slight snow, wind and cold weather dang it so the bike has been in garage with float charger connected. I did get to roll it to the other side of garage to get to my welder!
Looks like weather to be cold all week. Ugh.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to give credit to Yamaha. After sitting in the garage for 3 months now, with no prep but Seafoam in the tank

I turned the gas on, pull the choke out, let the fuel pump run for ten seconds, and the engine started up on the first revolution of the crank.

I love this bike: 36k miles, 14 years old, runs like new.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have to give credit to Yamaha. After sitting in the garage for 3 months now, with no prep but Seafoam in the tank

I turned the gas on, pull the choke out, let the fuel pump run for ten seconds, and the engine started up on the first revolution of the crank.

I love this bike: 36k miles, 14 years old, runs like new.
You keep the battery on a float charger?

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
We ride damn near year round here. I was on the Raider Fri and Sat. Yesterday since it was raining I took the Wing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts