Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I just saw this on Ride Apart and checked it on other sites for 2017:
The Star cruiser brand has been officially phased out. Instead, many of those models have been rolled into the mix as Yamahas.
I'm not sure how to take this. I've seen many posts that reference our Star bikes as Yamaha's but it appears this will be the only name we'll use in the future. I won't believe that Yamaha is moving away from the cruiser industry because in my area I still see more cruisers/baggers than any other bikes.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Hey folks,
I just saw this on Ride Apart and checked it on other sites for 2017:
The Star cruiser brand has been officially phased out. Instead, many of those models have been rolled into the mix as Yamahas.
I'm not sure how to take this. I've seen many posts that reference our Star bikes as Yamaha's but it appears this will be the only name we'll use in the future. I won't believe that Yamaha is moving away from the cruiser industry because in my area I still see more cruisers/baggers than any other bikes.
star motorcycles was based in california even with the name change it will still be based in the u.s.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Earlier in the year i beleive yamaha made the decision to pull the star nameplate back under one roof. They've always been yamahas.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Was considered more like a separate division or manufacturer, but now called the Star Cruiser Line under the Yamaha name. That in itself isn't a huge difference, but can't believe that they still list 2014, 2015, and 2016 as current models??? Only 2017 is the Bolt. Sad :crying:

·
Registered
421 Posts
The 250 Star began life most of thirty years ago as a 250 Yamaha Virago, and was rebranded as a Star when Yamaha decided to call their cruisers "Star" instead of Yamaha. Same bike, different decor on the tank.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Was considered more like a separate division or manufacturer, but now called the Star Cruiser Line under the Yamaha name. That in itself isn't a huge difference, but can't believe that they still list 2014, 2015, and 2016 as current models??? Only 2017 is the Bolt. Sad :crying:
I wouldn't read too much in to that. Unlike car manufactures Yamaha doesn't always have a new year model every year. If the dealer network has quite a bit of stock and the factory has stock, they won't release a new model year. Unlike cars where they blow all the year end models out, motorcycles tend to sit for several years at the dealer until sold.

But the motorcycle industry as a whole is moving toward a smaller less expensive cruiser type of bike, Harley and Victory have also released smaller less expensive bikes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That really sucks. I had a 02 VStar 1100, and now am on my 2nd 06 Roadliner. It is the perfect bike for someone my size. I love having a sleeper bike that can smoke any stock Harley!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That really sucks. I had a 02 VStar 1100, and now am on my 2nd 06 Roadliner. It is the perfect bike for someone my size. I love having a sleeper bike that can smoke any stock Harley!
star stopped making the big bikes last year nothing bigger than a 1300 is made anymore. the 250 thru the 1300 will still be offered just under the yamama name now, i'm betting the big bikes will be back in year or three better than ever, designers are probably working on a larger better bike as i write this. i'ts all about the economy if demand comes back strong enough the'll build em

·
Registered
203 Posts
Gotta play with the times. Even auto manufacturers have and are tweaking their line ups. Heck, dodge/chrysler even dropped the caravan/town&country after how many years and rebadged it with the old failed nameplate of pacifica.

·
Registered
45 Posts
star stopped making the big bikes last year nothing bigger than a 1300 is made anymore. the 250 thru the 1300 will still be offered just under the yamama name now, i'm betting the big bikes will be back in year or three better than ever, designers are probably working on a larger better bike as i write this. i'ts all about the economy if demand comes back strong enough the'll build em
If it does come back would you go up to a new one though? Or wait a bit. When I got my 2nd 06 Roadliner a few months ago, I had thought about finding a 2014 Roadliner or Stratoliner instead. Cost came into factor for me. I was able to pick up Ghost with only 7200 miles on her for $4200.

Immediately took Ghost for service, as the 19 year old kid who had her before me for some reason put 2 car spark plugs in her. Got new front and rear tires, oil change, clutch and brake lines flushed, and all the spark plugs replaced. Picked up a new OEM pipe off ebay, got some ISO grips, saddlebag supports, and a luggage rack. All together I've spent around $6,000 including tag & title.

Definitely not bad for an 06 with 7200 miles. Getting close to 10k miles already and will be well past 12k after this weekend. Going to take a trip from DC area to Atlanta and back in 3 days.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Looks like this is the 2017 Cruiser Line Up:

2017 Raider
2017 Striker
2017 Bolt and Bolt R-Spec
2017 V Star 1300 Deluxe and Tourer
2017 V Star 950 Tourer
2017 V Star 250

Plus some '15 and '16 year models listed as the "current line up." No Strats listed at all, not even the '14 Deluxe which had been there as of last year. Guess they gave them all away finally, er I mean sold them at a reduced price LOL ;D ;)

NO new touring, Venture like, model that has been rumored for years and no '17 650 either, or base 950/1300 models.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Looking at the yamaha v star website, they are still listing 2016 650 custom

Its odd they would keep the 250 and ditch the 650 for this year. In the last 4 years I have seen maybe two posts on this forum from people riding VS250s, and have seen maybe 3 on the road.

By contrast 650s are all over the place.

I guess my Classic really is a classic now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yamaha announces the new Tourer tomorrow.

As for the 650, it is probably because it is a carbed bike and no longer meets EPA standards for 2017. The 250 is small enough not to have to comply with the more stringent EPA regulations.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yamaha announces the new Tourer tomorrow.

As for the 650, it is probably because it is a carbed bike and no longer meets EPA standards for 2017. The 250 is small enough not to have to comply with the more stringent EPA regulations.
The 2017 V-Star 650 is available here in Canada... it's listed at $7,199. (which is about $5,340 US) Heck of a bargain, I'd say.

Hmmm... just realized that I can buy four of these and still have $3,200 left over for accessories! (for the price of the new Venture)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Red, Yellow, Blue, Black.... all parked in a line in your garage.

would look very impressive.

If you switched bikes every time you ride, they would last for the rest of your life.

You would not need tires till you had ridden 48,000 miles!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts