Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
... I've heard a lot about the Blue Ridge Parkway and am really looking forward to seeing it and the area all around...
The NC, TN and Northern GA region is a gorgeous area with great roads for riding. Of course there's Tail of The Dragon on US129 south of Deals Gap NC and following south on US129 will take you to Lake Santeetlah where you can pick up the Cherohala Skyway heading west. In fact just about any of the secondary roads are just amazing, some are like roller coaster hills with switchbacks and dramatic elevation changes. If you follow 68 South from Tellico Plains where the western portion of the Skyway ends and travel south into the Chattahoochee National forest in Northern GA you can experience T.W.O. (used be called Two Wheels Only) which I guess is now named Two Wheels Of Suches, a motorcycle only campground.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The NC, TN and Northern GA region is a gorgeous area with great roads for riding. Of course there's Tail of The Dragon on US129 south of Deals Gap NC and following south on US129 will take you to Lake Santeetlah where you can pick up the Cherohala Skyway heading west. In fact just about any of the secondary roads are just amazing, some are like roller coaster hills with switchbacks and dramatic elevation changes. If you follow 68 South from Tellico Plains where the western portion of the Skyway ends and travel south into the Chattahoochee National forest in Northern GA you can experience T.W.O. (used be called Two Wheels Only) which I guess is now named Two Wheels Of Suches, a motorcycle only campground.
Sounds awesome! Looks like you know the area pretty well. Will you be able to come and join us? That'd be super cool to have a knowledgeable guide! :wink:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I used to be very familiar with the area since I lived nearby and used to explore it a lot throughout the 90s until the mid 2000s. We'll see how it goes come summer time. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to revisiting the area although TBH there are many adventures that I have planned for the upcoming year and down time is still limited since I am not yet retired. I will be riding through your town come April on my way back from visiting friends at Fearrington Village south of Chapel Hill so I'll give you a throttle blip.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I used to be very familiar with the area since I lived nearby and used to explore it a lot throughout the 90s until the mid 2000s. We'll see how it goes come summer time. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to revisiting the area although TBH there are many adventures that I have planned for the upcoming year and down time is still limited since I am not yet retired. I will be riding through your town come April on my way back from visiting friends at Fearrington Village south of Chapel Hill so I'll give you a throttle blip.
Hope everything works out and you will be able to come. I'm impatiently looking forward to this exciting event.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Definitely interested as all the roads I've ridden in the area were great. Is this for Yamaha's only or ? My ridding buddy has a different make that we have explored the NC mountains with. I'm near Fayetteville and it's a short hop to the mountains from here.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Definitely interested as all the roads I've ridden in the area were great. Is this for Yamaha's only or ? My ridding buddy has a different make that we have explored the NC mountains with. I'm near Fayetteville and it's a short hop to the mountains from here.
I personally switched to HD recently (previous bike was Yamaha Stryker), but I'm coming! ) It's all about people, not the motorcycle makes. Keith, would you agree? Perhaps my wife will come also (she rides 650 Custom). I'd welcome everybody to join us. A couple of my friends are getting interested in coming as well (they ride Harleys also), but we all are free of "Harley brain decease" lol

·
Super Moderator
6,101 Posts
I definitely agree, it’s about the unity of riding and meeting/greeting fellow riders. What does everyone else think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
September 20-22? I think that's the best time to go - better weather and lots of fun. We need to figure out our meeting location... Every suggestion is highly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Possible Location?

There are loads of great places to stay in the mountains of NC. Unfortunately, none of them are inexpensive. There are several "motorcycles only" locations that my riding buddy and I checked out last year and I can offer a little insight....

Motorcycles only:
Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge & Resort: Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge | 828-479-3864 Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway Wonderful accommodations with a neat onsite store.
Two Wheel Resort: Two Wheel Inn Resort 828-479-4248 ? Accommodations for you and your motorcycle, Located on US129, south of Robbinsville NC near the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. Again great accommodations, just different style. (828-479-4248)
Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort: Home - Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort Yep, right at the start of "The Dragon". (800-889-5550).
Kickstand Lodge: https://kickstandlodge.com/ Definitely more rustic and looked pretty run down when we checked it out last year, but I'll put it in anyway....(828-479-6069)

Places to stay we did not get a chance to check out:
Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground: Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground (828-235-8350)
Riders Roost Motorcycle Resort & Campground: ::RIDER'S ROOST :: MOTORCYCLE RESORT & CAMPGROUND :: (336-973-8405)

One of the places I've stayed and been pretty happy with is: The Waynesville Inn - Home The Waynsville Inn Golf Resort and Spa. While the Wifi isn't the best (somewhat spotty depending on your room location), cell reception seems to be good. Rates are downright cheap (under $100 a night) for the area and they have a great breakfast that comes with the room. Why do I stay here instead of the motorcycle only spots? Because all of the motorcycle places are usually full when I try to make reservations, and some are a little more pricey than I can handle. Used these folks 5 times so far and the only gripe I have is the wifi.

This should give you a good start, but this is by no means a comprehensive list. Be prepared for a shock when you start checking rates for regular motels in the NC Mountains :).

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There are loads of great places to stay in the mountains of NC. Unfortunately, none of them are inexpensive. There are several "motorcycles only" locations that my riding buddy and I checked out last year and I can offer a little insight....

Motorcycles only:
Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge & Resort: Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge | 828-479-3864 Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway Wonderful accommodations with a neat onsite store.
Two Wheel Resort: Two Wheel Inn Resort 828-479-4248 ? Accommodations for you and your motorcycle, Located on US129, south of Robbinsville NC near the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. Again great accommodations, just different style. (828-479-4248)
Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort: Home - Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort Yep, right at the start of "The Dragon". (800-889-5550).
Kickstand Lodge: https://kickstandlodge.com/ Definitely more rustic and looked pretty run down when we checked it out last year, but I'll put it in anyway....(828-479-6069)

Places to stay we did not get a chance to check out:
Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground: Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground (828-235-8350)
Riders Roost Motorcycle Resort & Campground: ::RIDER'S ROOST :: MOTORCYCLE RESORT & CAMPGROUND :: (336-973-8405)

One of the places I've stayed and been pretty happy with is: The Waynesville Inn - Home The Waynsville Inn Golf Resort and Spa. While the Wifi isn't the best (somewhat spotty depending on your room location), cell reception seems to be good. Rates are downright cheap (under $100 a night) for the area and they have a great breakfast that comes with the room. Why do I stay here instead of the motorcycle only spots? Because all of the motorcycle places are usually full when I try to make reservations, and some are a little more pricey than I can handle. Used these folks 5 times so far and the only gripe I have is the wifi.

This should give you a good start, but this is by no means a comprehensive list. Be prepared for a shock when you start checking rates for regular motels in the NC Mountains :).
That's awesome!, Dave, thanks for such detailed recommendations! Last year we went to Cherokee and we stayed at the same exact hotel in Waynesville! It is an affordable place for sure. I guess all of us who is planning to come should start looking at possible lodging options...

·
Registered
199 Posts
If the dates work with my school schedule count me in for the maggie valley dates. My dad will most likely come as well. He is a HD rider. Like you said, its not about the bikes but the people.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If the dates work with my school schedule count me in for the maggie valley dates. My dad will most likely come as well. He is a HD rider. Like you said, its not about the bikes but the people.
If you and your dad could make it that'd awesome man!

·
Registered
447 Posts
So sorry to hear that. ;)

WV has gorgeous sights and landscapes... a state with so much tourism prosperity potential to be the Colorado of the east. It's one of the few states that I travel through where the people are genuinely friendly as strangers.
Ya, I'm in the wrong part of WV, living in Maryland most of my life, just jumped the boarder into martinsburg. No issue with WV itself, but just living in this area is not working.

21 - 40 of 576 Posts