Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I checked my air filter this morning on my Yamaha Star Venture because it is raining so no riding at this time. You will need a 4mm Allen wrench for the six Allen head screws that hold the outer air box cover on. Be careful so that you don't strip the heads of the screws so just make sure you have the Allen wrench seated in the Allen head screw when you un-tighten and tighten the screws.

Once you have the six screws loose pull the filter housing out and back and look as best you can inside the outer filter housing so that you see the filter and the rubber air intake hose that is attached to the throttle body. The outer filter housing cover will pull out of the front air intake as you are doing this and the air filter will be in the outer cover of the air box. The screen mesh faces the rear while the open pleated part of the air filter element faces the front.

Once you have the outer air box cover off the bike be careful so you don't tip the cover over and let the six Allen head screws fall to the floor and scatter. The air filter will just slide out of the grooves in the outer filter housing.

There is also a gasket to seal the air box that goes all the way around the outer perimeter of the air box, I don't know how often that will need to be changed but check it and make sure it is in good condition.

My air filter had quite a bit of dirt built up in the open pleats, I just lightly smacked the open pleated side on the concrete garage floor and got out quite a bit of loose dirt. I also took my low pressure air blower and lightly blew air through the filter from the screen side to help remove more of the dirt. Do not use high pressure or put the end of the air nozzle close to the filter surface or you can damage the air filter.

I am going to purchase a replacement air filter and change it at the 8,000 mile service.

When you put the filter and housing back on the bike take your time and line everything up, you will know when the filter and housing are seated properly, to help you out look at the front of the filter housing, you will see the back of the housing that the outer filter housing lines up with, just keep gently working the outer filter housing forward and it will all line up and fall into place and you will feel it when it seats.

Now replace the six Allen head screws, don't over torque them, just snug then up lightly and then give them just a little nudge and they will be fine. That will keep you from stripping the head of the Allen head screws.

Not a hard job, but you will have to line everything up and take your time and it will all go right into place.

http://yamahamc.partsandwarranty.com/SyndicateNav.cfm?NodeID=2029840&Page=1

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This current air filter has 6,006 miles on it. I am not convinced that we are going to get 24,000 miles out of an air filter on these bikes from what I saw on mine this morning. I am thinking this is going to be an 8,000 to 12,000 mile part to keep maximum air flow going.

·
Registered
809 Posts
This current air filter has 6,006 miles on it. I am not convinced that we are going to get 24,000 miles out of an air filter on these bikes from what I saw on mine this morning. I am thinking this is going to be an 8,000 to 12,000 mile part to keep maximum air flow going.
You mean, you didn't have to spend 6 hours re and re, and take apart half the bike, with all fittings, remove the seat, grommets, screws, major faring Tupperware, dismantle the dash, pop out your tweeters, pull out the side boxes, remove the cruise control module, un plug myriads of connectors, and, and...and...

Oh...sorry Bill...forgot, you don't own a Honda Goldwing, 2018 model and earlier........sorry... :)

Carry on...

Joe

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You mean, you didn't have to spend 6 hours re and re, and take apart half the bike, with all fittings, remove the seat, grommets, screws, major faring Tupperware, dismantle the dash, pop out your tweeters, pull out the side boxes, remove the cruise control module, un plug myriads of connectors, and, and...and...

Oh...sorry Bill...forgot, you don't own a Honda Goldwing, 2018 model and earlier........sorry... /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Carry on...

Joe
It’s a GOOD thing we don’t have to mess with the “tranny”! ROFLMBO!

·
Registered
809 Posts

Seriously, I have been lurking (bad..bad...yes...I know...bad boy...) on the GL1800 forums for the 2018 model year...and every other post it seems...is can somebody help me....or has this happened to you?......or....if I would have known!.....

After every post, before going onto the next one....I'm find myself muttering..."thank gawd...oh wow....wow....thank gawd....missed THAT bullet....oh geez, you've gotta be kidding?.....wow....thank gawd....seriously?!?!?!?!......wow....geez....".

I need to learn to not talk out-loud....my wife thinks the computer forum is starting to become my 'Harvey'....lol. Poor James Stewart! Poor rabbit....

Poor Joe 'Stewart'.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Seriously, I have been lurking (bad..bad...yes...I know...bad boy...) on the GL1800 forums for the 2018 model year...and every other post it seems...is can somebody help me....or has this happened to you?......or....if I would have known!.....

After every post, before going onto the next one....I'm find myself muttering..."thank gawd...oh wow....wow....thank gawd....missed THAT bullet....oh geez, you've gotta be kidding?.....wow....thank gawd....seriously?!?!?!?!......wow....geez....".

I need to learn to not talk out-loud....my wife thinks the computer forum is starting to become my 'Harvey'....lol. Poor James Stewart! Poor rabbit....

Poor Joe 'Stewart'.
Darn Joe, now ya got me wanting to lurk the wing sites to read all the juicy tid bits!!

I NEED to do it cuz a friend of mine rode and liked the new wing, but isn’t very up on the problems it’s been having.
I’m gonna have to educate him a bit.

I’ll peruse through in the quiet background and probably do it sitting on Big Red just to feel even BETTER! Lol!

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts

Oh...sorry Bill...forgot, you don't own a Honda Goldwing, 2018 model and earlier........sorry... :)

Carry on...

Joe
It takes me 20 minutes start to finish to change the air filter on my Goldwing.... Shrug.. dunno what the problem is.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those wanting to stock a few air filters the link above has the best prices at $12.17 per filter but there shipping is higher if you don't use USPS. UPS shipping will cost $22.00 while USPS is just under $8.00.

PartShark charges a dollar more for the air filter $13.18 per filter but their shipping is $10.00.

I ordered two air filters from the above link in the first post and today I ordered four more air filters from PartShark so I will be set on air filters for a while.

I also have ordered extra oil filters from Sims marine, they have a good price with reasonable shipping costs.

So I will be set for a while on oil and air filters.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It takes me 20 minutes start to finish to change the air filter on my Goldwing.... Shrug.. dunno what the problem is.

Right....right... ;) 20 minutes is just getting started (on a 2000 to 2018 GL1800 Goldwing) on stripping off the faring side strips, taking out the faring pockets, remove the dash fascia, slip hand behind tweeters and detach leads, strip down and remove the dash facia, slip hand under top faux tank cover to detach wiring harness for the ignition, remove faux top gas tank tupperware, after removing seat and side covers, now into the guts....loosen and remove wire harness to the cruise control module square box, and remove,...pull back throttle caps and other wiring, open access lid to the air cleaner box, re and re, screw down air cleaner box...and replace all modules, wire harness, connect all that has been disconnected so items may be reassembled to the bike, start plying on the faring tupperware sections, reinstall side pockets, attach right locking side pocket attachment, top faux gas tank, reassemble the dash facia, re connect the tweeters, reinstall the top surround for the ignition switch.... attach seat and side covers, AND...double check your work...and hope parts were not left off...

Ok...I'd love to see you make a video, start to finish....of you doing all of the above in only 20 minutes....or you mean...it only takes you 20 minutes AFTER you pull all that crap off of the bike....and are opening the top box of the air filter holder....yeah..then with sipping a beer or two, 20 minutes total in would work for removing the 6 screws, carefully opening the top lid, so nothing falls down into the intake draft, pulling out the old air filter...wiping down carefully to remove lint, dirt, etc...coating both top and bottom rubbers of the new air cleaner with dialectric grease so they will give a good airtight seal to the hard plastic filter box and top.....etc...etc...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A video of the 20 minute Goldwing GL1800 (any year) Air Filter RE and RE would be something to view! Let me know when it's ready! :) Seriously!!!!! :)

Joe,.... and oh, I've done my fair share of what's required to get to the air filter box during my Goldwing era ownership's,...the breakdown to get there...and the reassembly of all parts tupperware, wire harness, careful handling of all connectors, making sure they are all seated well....and it was more than 20 minutes....try about 2.5 hours, start to finish, so no screw ups are encountered.

Post Edit: If you have a 1975-1982 Goldwing...before the first interstate...then sure...easy as pie. But a GL1800---> 2000 to 2018 model year, ain't no 20 minutes, from first turn of a screwdriver, to the last turn, and then close the garage door and leave.......nope.......

·
Registered
809 Posts
Darn Joe, now ya got me wanting to lurk the wing sites to read all the juicy tid bits!!

I NEED to do it cuz a friend of mine rode and liked the new wing, but isn’t very up on the problems it’s been having.
I’m gonna have to educate him a bit.

I’ll peruse through in the quiet background and probably do it sitting on Big Red just to feel even BETTER! Lol!
Great entertainment...and the Knight sitting amongst the Holy Grail chalices will come to your mind...."YOU, chose wisely...." "He...----->did not choose wisely...." :(

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts

Right....right... ;) 20 minutes is just getting started (on a 2000 to 2018 GL1800 Goldwing) on stripping off the faring side strips, taking out the faring pockets, remove the dash fascia, slip hand behind tweeters and detach leads, strip down and remove the dash facia, slip hand under top faux tank cover to detach wiring harness for the ignition, remove faux top gas tank tupperware, after removing seat and side covers, now into the guts....loosen and remove wire harness to the cruise control module square box, and remove,...pull back throttle caps and other wiring, open access lid to the air cleaner box, re and re, screw down air cleaner box...and replace all modules, wire harness, connect all that has been disconnected so items may be reassembled to the bike, start plying on the faring tupperware sections, reinstall side pockets, attach right locking side pocket attachment, top faux gas tank, reassemble the dash facia, re connect the tweeters, reinstall the top surround for the ignition switch.... attach seat and side covers, AND...double check your work...and hope parts were not left off...

Ok...I'd love to see you make a video, start to finish....of you doing all of the above in only 20 minutes....or you mean...it only takes you 20 minutes AFTER you pull all that crap off of the bike....and are opening the top box of the air filter holder....yeah..then with sipping a beer or two, 20 minutes total in would work for removing the 6 screws, carefully opening the top lid, so nothing falls down into the intake draft, pulling out the old air filter...wiping down carefully to remove lint, dirt, etc...coating both top and bottom rubbers of the new air cleaner with dialectric grease so they will give a good airtight seal to the hard plastic filter box and top.....etc...etc...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A video of the 20 minute Goldwing GL1800 (any year) Air Filter RE and RE would be something to view! Let me know when it's ready! :) Seriously!!!!! :)

Joe,.... and oh, I've done my fair share of what's required to get to the air filter box during my Goldwing era ownership's,...the breakdown to get there...and the reassembly of all parts tupperware, wire harness, careful handling of all connectors, making sure they are all seated well....and it was more than 20 minutes....try about 2.5 hours, start to finish, so no screw ups are encountered.

Post Edit: If you have a 1975-1982 Goldwing...before the first interstate...then sure...easy as pie. But a GL1800---> 2000 to 2018 model year, ain't no 20 minutes, from first turn of a screwdriver, to the last turn, and then close the garage door and leave.......nope.......
The first time I did it it took me an hour and a half. I know the exact tools I need now. I use a power screw driver. I have made myself a template to put the screws in so they go back in the same spot. Seriously 20 to 30 minutes. It is not that hard.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
For those wanting to stock a few air filters the link above has the best prices at $12.17 per filter but there shipping is higher if you don't use USPS. UPS shipping will cost $22.00 while USPS is just under $8.00.

PartShark charges a dollar more for the air filter $13.18 per filter but their shipping is $10.00.

I ordered two air filters from the above link in the first post and today I ordered four more air filters from PartShark so I will be set on air filters for a while.

I also have ordered extra oil filters from Sims marine, they have a good price with reasonable shipping costs.

So I will be set for a while on oil and air filters.
Thanks for the info Bill. I’ve always run K&N air filters on all my vehicles. Hoping I can find one soon which will fit.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info Bill. I’ve always run K&N air filters on all my vehicles. Hoping I can find one soon which will fit.
The air filter is an odd shape and it has a seal that goes around the out side of the filter, It is a very well made air filter, I did not take a photo of it but when I get the new ones I will take a photo of the front and back. It may be a while before K&N decides if they will make an air filter for this bike. Depends on market share. I am finding a lot of companies are taking a wait and see attitude as to if they will offer parts for this bike.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got two of the air filters today, four more coming, I like having my own small parts department.

Here is a photo of the air filter front and back and a photo of the rubber seal for the air cleaner cover, This seal should be good for some time but it may be smart to always have one handy incase you need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went ahead and changed the air filter, I also took a look at the rubber gasket for the air cleaner cover and this is a part that likely would be good to change only if damaged or on a every other year basis or maybe 50,000 miles if you are putting a lot of miles on your bike. Changing it out every second year will keep it from dying out and cracking from the heat of the environment it is in. You really have to look for the seal to find it, it is on the backing plate of the air cleaner that is bolted to the engine. The seal gets pushed into the groove that goes around the outer edge of the backing plate and the air filter cover has an edge that slides into the slot with the rubber seal making the seal all the way around the air cleaner cover when it is bolted back on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts