1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Seems like we have a choice between Harley and Indian for new V-twin cruisers these days. Kawasaki does still offer the Vulcan 900 and Vaquero 1700 bagger, but yes, Yamaha has moved on.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Wonder if yamaha is still making the 650
or if they pooled all their left over bikes and are only selling them in Canada?

seems kinda odd - if they are selling them world wide why would they leave out the USA?

Seems like we have a choice between Harley and Indian for new V-twin cruisers these days.
whats wrong with Honda's cruiser bikes? Consumer Reports had them rated as 2nd to Vstar for reliability. The Valkyrie is not a Vtwin but it is one sweet ride.

has Kawasaki and Suzuki also stopped making Vtwins?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Does the Bolt not count as a cruiser?

it's a "942cc, air-cooled, SOHC, 4-valves per cylinder, 60° V-twin engine produces outstanding low- and mid-range torque. Maximum torque is reached at only 3,000 rpm - for an exceptionally fun riding experience."

Seems not far off the 1100?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Bolt is more like a harley sportster / bobber format

nearly straight handlebars, urban assault vehicle...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I looked over Yamaha's lineup and all are air cooled. That may be fine if your rides consist of mainly highway and country roads. But for me, 90% of my riding is in town stop and go traffic, so I need liquid cooled.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't consider the Bolt a cruiser, either. Yes, its got a nice sized engine but I wouldn't buy one. I do not like the styling on it. I'm primarily a Kawasaki guy but I wouldn't buy a Vulcan S if it were the only bike on the market. Don't like the styling on that either. All "adventure" bikes are off my radar scope as well.

Manufacturers seem to be taking what I view to be a short-sighted mindset on cruisers. Even Triumph has dropped their Thunderbird series which is a real crying shame.

There is a decided lack of cruiser options amongst the manufacturers in the mid size bikes. 900s are alive, as well as 1700ish bikes but not much in between. I'm really surprised the 1300 Tourer didn't survive. That was about perfect for those of us that want the power and comfort to get down the road but not the weight penalty of a full-on touring bike. If I had some extra cash I'd snap one of those up post haste.

I've never much cared for Suzuki's or Hondas. Just my personal choice in that respect. And forget Harley's entirely.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The Valkyrie is not a V twin - that takes it out of the running for me. Me loves a double thumper. Not sure about Suzuki but Kawasaki is still making V twins (at least in Canada).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yamaha has the 2020 Venture listed on the site but not the Eluder. Wondering about that...

I'm glad to see the 2020 model announced. That is probably going to be the difference between me being on a Venture in Fall/Winter rather than something else. I doubt I'm the only guy out there who's decision to purchase largely depended on this bike *not* being a one-year wonder.

Sorry to see no good news on the mid-size cruiser front...

·
Super Moderator
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked over Yamaha's lineup and all are air cooled. That may be fine if your rides consist of mainly highway and country roads. But for me, 90% of my riding is in town stop and go traffic, so I need liquid cooled.
I do not share that a liquid cooled bikes make a better commuter bike. From Spring 2013 till Fall 2018 used my 1100 in Houston Texas as daily commuter. Put 65k miles on it with 90% in stop and go traffic with a commute of 25 miles one way. Currently on a Harley EG, put 7k on it so far with most being commuter miles. Never had a heat related issue with either bike, doesn't get much hotter or severe traffic than in Houston. Just my opinion based on personal experience.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I get it that if bikes are not selling then you probably don't want to make more of them. In Yamaha's case I think they just had too many to pick from with the 650, 950, 950T, 1300, 1300T, 1300SE, Eluder, and Venture. So they sold a few of each but not big sales numbers. So why kill them all except the Venture? Why not just keep a 950 or a 1300 in the line up to maintain a presence in the cruiser market with a mid size affordable cruiser?

When I first found out about this I thought the cruiser market is drying up but now I realize that the majority of bikes I pass on the road are cruisers so there is definitely still a market out there for these bikes and Yamaha has chosen to get out of it.

When I bought my Road Star I wanted to trade in my 950T but the dealer said they had two new ones in the back from last year that didn't sell so they weren't interested in taking mine as a trade. I had no trouble selling it quickly privately for more than they would have offered me which brings me to another point. Why isn't Yamaha advertising they have these bikes? Can't sell what people don't know you have.

And finally, Yamaha when they did advertise, made a big deal out of making the bike your own because they were very easy to customize. Then some idiot decided we'd all like to see the cubic inch of the bike painted in big letters on the gas tank or fender on their newer models. Gee, wonder why I didn't get that 1300 with the big 80 painted on the gas tank. Looks real badass. Marketing stupidity has lead them right out of the market. Make something people actually will buy or fold your tent and go home which is what they did.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I could be wrong on this but it has been my perceived experience that the manufacturers across the board go out of their way to avoid ready-made customer feedback tools. By that I mean this forum and others like it. Not once have I seen someone come on any forum and identify themselves as a such-n-such representative and start asking opinions. Its kind of dumb if you ask me. This forum, and all others that gravitate to this breed or that breed of machine, is chock full of the complete range of riders from brand new to seasoned veterans. Here you find people passionate about the biking community, the machines, and have more sum-total experience than anyone working for any given manufacturer.

Had someone that possessed a semblance of real decision making authority in Yamaha (and by extension all others, too) simply asked these semi-captive audiences what we felt was needed/wanted and so forth then the decision making tree back in the boardroom might look different.

But , no, they don't do it. Sometimes the first we hear of a given bike being dropped from the lineup is when we can't find it in next year's website. For Yamaha to simply eliminate true mid-range cruisers is less-than-well thought out in my opinion. Sure, there will be a robust used-vehicle market for years to come as folks decide they WANT an 1100 or 1300. Hell, its now the ONLY way to acquire said type of bikes. But I prefer to buy new. I only want MY scent to be on that seat.

Nope, the manufacturers seem to self-destruct sometimes. Its just not well thought out or planned.

·
Super Moderator
13,109 Posts
Had someone that possessed a semblance of real decision making authority in Yamaha (and by extension all others, too) simply asked these semi-captive audiences what we felt was needed/wanted and so forth then the decision making tree back in the boardroom might look different.
Apple didn't become the #1, and now the #2 most profitable company on the planet by asking consumers what they wanted. i think there's a Steve Jobs' quote that says customers don't know what they want until you show it to them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know that the general consensus is that cruiser riders are aging out of the market. Here in my area, over 90 percent of the bikes you see on the road are cruisers! A lot of riders fit the geezer stereotype (like me) but certainly not all.
So i believe that Yamaha is making a mistake by withdrawing from the cruiser market in the US.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
...Yamaha when they did advertise....
I cant remember the last time I saw an advertisement for a motorcycle on TV... maybe in the early 1960s?

Who buys magazines anymore?

The motorcycle market is small compared to cars or SUVs, or even boats.

The last movie I saw that promoted motorcycle riding in a positive way was "The Worlds Fastest Indian" - and that was not so much about riding as an old guy fulfilling his dream of setting a specific speed record on a specific engine-size bike.

The culture of riding is very well established, and its a sub-culture in the USA. In most parts of the world people ride small motorcycles because they cannot afford a car.

In the US going back to the beginning, motorcycles were the fastest vehicles you could buy, held the world speed records for decades, were very high maintenance and very dangerous - but for many people they represented freedom, independence, and being a rugged individual. Motorcycle riders were the 20th century reincarnation of the western cowboy.

The motorcycle production companies are doing the best they can in the US market, its a difficult way to make a living.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I agree that I see at least as many cruisers around here as sport bikes, but the reality (as was mentioned earlier in this thread) is that people who buy cruisers are older, and keep them for years. Motorcycle manufacturers are in business to sell motorcycles, plain and simple. If a customer only replaces his or her bike every ten years, and the demographic is aging, how can they justify keeping them in production? It's a sad but undeniable fact. We old geezers are no longer driving the market and they had to adjust their models to adapt.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Suzuki still produces the Boulevard M90 1500 cc and M109 1800 cc cruisers. Sport cruisers I guess. The M109 is a beast. A real muscle bike. Smaller engine than my Raider but by all accounts pound for pound probably more torque and faster in the quarter mile if that's important to you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cruiser sales compared to other models are down in double digits. Yamaha cruisers were no longer selling so they shut Star down and then sold of the rest of the inventory.

The new Venture was actually designed and prototyped prior to Yamaha shutting down Star and it was supposed to be a big V Twin Cruiser/Tourer.

Yamaha then held it back for a few years and redeveloped it into a more Golding type bike.

Yes there are a lot of cruiser's out on the road. But nobody is buying new ones. There are literally 10's of thousands of them on used dealers floors, especially Harley's.

Stars were sitting on dealer floors until they were heavily discounted which made no money for Yamaha. When Harley sales started tanking about 4 years ago, the rest of the cruiser industry went with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts