Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just had my front tire replaced yesterday. Got 20k miles out of it. I fell very fortunate considering some of the horror stories I’ve heard from other people’s service nightmares. Team Charlotte Motorsports in Charlotte is top notch! The top technician there “Brad” is the only one allowed to work on my bike. I’ve developed a great relationship with him and he always goes the extra mile with my bike. He lets me know everything he sees and since I do most of my own maintenance, he just confirms conditions I already know. That just tells me he’s being honest.
I do online searches for parts such as the new front tire I got, and they always have no problem giving me the cheaper online price that I find. Also, I get a 10% military discount too! The dealership is VERY friendly, and everybody says “Hi Tony!” When I walk in, from the fainancr dept to sales to parts to technicians. They also have free foot long hotdogs, sodas and even Klondike bars for visitors. I know this sounds like a “plug” for the dealership, and I guess it is. If you’re ever in Charlotte, NC and your bike is in need of anything, THIS is the place to go!
Teamcharlottemotorsports.com

As far as the bikes running condition, it’s doing great! My gas mileage hasn’t been as good as in the past because I find myself running more in Sport Mode. Kinda like the “zippyness” of it! 😁
I’ve been considering changing oil brand, but for now it seems to like the YamaLube 15w-50 full synthetic I’ve been running.
Ill end up having to have the valves checked in another 4K miles which will make it 24k. Yes that odd, but when I had the cam issue at 8k miles, they told me my next valve check would be 16k from that point. They even confirmed that with Yamaha, which is strange since I had heard from Rich (GARIder) that he wasn’t given the same instructions when they did his cam & lifters. Oh well, she’s running great, and I’m enjoying the heck outta the bike!
Wife says she wants to do some trips (few day jaunts) up the East coast before we do our cross country trip later this year. Makes sense you wanna get used to being in the saddle for extended periods before taking off for almost 4 weeks on the road. Also a good opportunity to do a good shake down with all the camping gear and stuff.
Don’t know about you, but I sure miss Joe’s input (YamahaParExcellance) here on the forum! If your lurking Joe, we miss you bro!

Looks like spring is definitely here (at least for us) so many of you winterbound guys will soon be back on the road! Gonna be 74 here today. Have to wash the bike this morning and then headed out cruisin for the rest of the day. Got 400 miles before I actually hit 20k miles, but already have all oil change stuff in hand plus spark plugs and air filter. Haven’t changed the plugs myself yet, but gonna give a try based on someone’s info that you DO NOT have to remove the tank. Supposedly just have to un-bolt it and lift a few inches and place a 2x4 under it to get access to the front 2 plugs. We’ll give it a shot.

Anyhow, thought I’d drop something on this section of the forum since it’s been really quiet without Joe 😢
Hope everyone has a great weekend and gets some saddle time!

Peace out my friends, and keep the shiny side UP!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well, just had my front tire replaced yesterday. Got 20k miles out of it. I fell very fortunate considering some of the horror stories I’ve heard from other people’s service nightmares. Team Charlotte Motorsports in Charlotte is top notch! The top technician there “Brad” is the only one allowed to work on my bike. I’ve developed a great relationship with him and he always goes the extra mile with my bike. He lets me know everything he sees and since I do most of my own maintenance, he just confirms conditions I already know. That just tells me he’s being honest.
I do online searches for parts such as the new front tire I got, and they always have no problem giving me the cheaper online price that I find. Also, I get a 10% military discount too! The dealership is VERY friendly, and everybody says “Hi Tony!” When I walk in, from the fainancr dept to sales to parts to technicians. They also have free foot long hotdogs, sodas and even Klondike bars for visitors. I know this sounds like a “plug” for the dealership, and I guess it is. If you’re ever in Charlotte, NC and your bike is in need of anything, THIS is the place to go!
Teamcharlottemotorsports.com

As far as the bikes running condition, it’s doing great! My gas mileage hasn’t been as good as in the past because I find myself running more in Sport Mode. Kinda like the “zippyness” of it! 😁
I’ve been considering changing oil brand, but for now it seems to like the YamaLube 15w-50 full synthetic I’ve been running.
Ill end up having to have the valves checked in another 4K miles which will make it 24k. Yes that odd, but when I had the cam issue at 8k miles, they told me my next valve check would be 16k from that point. They even confirmed that with Yamaha, which is strange since I had heard from Rich (GARIder) that he wasn’t given the same instructions when they did his cam & lifters. Oh well, she’s running great, and I’m enjoying the heck outta the bike!
Wife says she wants to do some trips (few day jaunts) up the East coast before we do our cross country trip later this year. Makes sense you wanna get used to being in the saddle for extended periods before taking off for almost 4 weeks on the road. Also a good opportunity to do a good shake down with all the camping gear and stuff.
Don’t know about you, but I sure miss Joe’s input (YamahaParExcellance) here on the forum! If your lurking Joe, we miss you bro!

Looks like spring is definitely here (at least for us) so many of you winterbound guys will soon be back on the road! Gonna be 74 here today. Have to wash the bike this morning and then headed out cruisin for the rest of the day. Got 400 miles before I actually hit 20k miles, but already have all oil change stuff in hand plus spark plugs and air filter. Haven’t changed the plugs myself yet, but gonna give a try based on someone’s info that you DO NOT have to remove the tank. Supposedly just have to un-bolt it and lift a few inches and place a 2x4 under it to get access to the front 2 plugs. We’ll give it a shot.

Anyhow, thought I’d drop something on this section of the forum since it’s been really quiet without Joe 😢
Hope everyone has a great weekend and gets some saddle time!

Peace out my friends, and keep the shiny side UP!
Ill be taking my rear off today and having the RF put on. I got over 12,000 on the rear which I am well pleased with. I'll be changing plugs when I check my valves sometime shortly. My bike is still runnig great or either backfiring and making strange noises. It truley is a bike that refuses to let me love it, everytime I start to love it, it will backfire going into second while leaning through a curve... I should probably complain to Yamaha.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Chief, if I remember right you had to have lifters and cam replacement. Good to know that your problems seem to be over. I am thinking Yamaha had some bad lifters that messed up some of the engines. I am only at 1200 miles and mine is running great.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chief, if I remember right you had to have lifters and cam replacement. Good to know that your problems seem to be over. I am thinking Yamaha had some bad lifters that messed up some of the engines. I am only at 1200 miles and mine is running great.
Good to hear. So far 2 confirmed lifter/cam issues happened at almost identical mileage of about 7-8k miles.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Changed out the rear tire today, what a PIA compared to a Wing. (Hint: You must take caliper off to reinstall tire) I removed the wheel from the bike and took it to Walmart when I picked up the runflat and tried to get them to change the tire but they would not because their machine would not work on a MC rim. I took it to two other places and was told the same.
On my way back home, I stopped at a PePboys service center and asked. The guy said he was bored and would try, 10 minutes later it was done... No charge! He said he would clamp the rim from the inside and that they all could if they knew what they were doing. I tipped him $10 and a pack of M&M's. It is now on the rear of my bike. Have not got everything back together as the mosquitoes came out and run me in the house.

·
Registered
104 Posts
--

So, Chief,

About the valve adjustment. Quite frankly, had I known before purchase that at every 16,000 miles I was going to have to do some intensive checkover maintenance, specifically the valve check, the swingarm lube, and the steering bearings repack and more, I would not have gotten it. I have two RoadStars that I do most work on which seems to be a lot less than this new '18.

When you had yours done, was there any specific info about how those three items looked and if you could go for another 60,000 miles before any checkover? This is becoming an expensive bike in my mind. I'm about to get my 16,000 mile dealer checkover, as I don't feel qualified--heck, I haven't even taken off the air cleaner yet! It will cost me over $1,400. and that's due to my bargaining the only dealer around that can do it, down.

I've done my own oil and filter changes and I'll soon be putting on a new car tire, but that's all the mechanical. I'm sure I'll be doing the brakes myself too.

--

·
Registered
448 Posts
--

So, Chief,

About the valve adjustment. Quite frankly, had I known before purchase that at every 16,000 miles I was going to have to do some intensive checkover maintenance, specifically the valve check, the swingarm lube, and the steering bearings repack and more, I would not have gotten it. I have two RoadStars that I do most work on which seems to be a lot less than this new '18.

When you had yours done, was there any specific info about how those three items looked and if you could go for another 60,000 miles before any checkover? This is becoming an expensive bike in my mind. I'm about to get my 16,000 mile dealer checkover, as I don't feel qualified--heck, I haven't even taken off the air cleaner yet! It will cost me over $1,400. and that's due to my bargaining the only dealer around that can do it, down.

I've done my own oil and filter changes and I'll soon be putting on a new car tire, but that's all the mechanical. I'm sure I'll be doing the brakes myself too.

--
It's just nuts and bolts Ron. I just did my rear tire, what a PIA it was since all I had was a HF motorcycle lift. Tip for when you do the rear tire, REMOVE THE REAR CALIPER! You'll think since the entire brake assembly comes off you're good, you're not. REMOVE THE CALIPER.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
--

So, Chief,

--
It's just nuts and bolts Ron. I just did my rear tire, what a PIA it was since all I had was a HF motorcycle lift. Tip for when you do the rear tire, REMOVE THE REAR CALIPER! You'll think since the entire brake assembly comes off you're good, you're not. REMOVE THE CALIPER.
Thanks for the heads up Rob!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
--

So, Chief,

--
Sorry I didn’t answer sooner @RonK . Apparently I missed your post.
To answer your question, my valve check/adjustment happened at the 8k mike Mark because of the lifter issue. When the dealership completed the work, they confirmed with Yamaha that my periodicity had changed and the 16k valve check would not need performed until 24k miles.
Apparently 16k miles FROM when they did the lifters and stuff.
I’m coming up on it soon since I currently have 20k miles on her. You raise some
Interesting questions which I’ll ask them at that time. The only problem I see is that warranty coverage is contingent on doing the maintenance as scheduled even if it’s yourself doing it.
I took it in for break in service and of course the repair, but I’ve done everything else myself since then. The manual for it is pretty concise and breaks down procedures pretty clearly. If you don’t have a manual for it yet, I highly recommend it.
As far as the periodicity of the “valve check”, my 91 Venture Royale required valve adjustment every 24k miles and it was much more complicated than this due to bucket shims, etc...
As far as “ownership” costs.... owning and properly maintaining ANY motorcycle is not cheap. A lot are under the wrong assumption that operational costs will be smaller because the vehicle is smaller than say a car. Obviously that’s not true. Probably why motorcycle ownership is considered a “luxury” along the same lines as a boat is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts