Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm experiencing some very troubling MPG stats. I have gone through two tanks now and my gas light is coming on between 55-60 miles! I have a '13 VStar 950. I installed some Cobra slashdown exhausts, the Kuryakyn Alley Cat air cleaner kit and a Cobra Fi2000 fuel tuner.

I'm not sure what the three pots are set at exactly at the moment, but I would guess with the aftermarket mods and maybe the pots not finely tuned, I am wasting hella gas? It's brand new (only 400 miles), don't see any leaks or smell gas. I have no backfiring or popping out of the pipes, so that's good.

I know there should probably be a drop in MPG after new exhaust but really?!?! Also, the spec sheets, etc. seem to say I have a 4 gallon gas tank and should get well over 200 mi before I have to fill up with gas, (which I was super excited about when I bought it!). But everytime I fill up, no more than 2.2 gallons goes in. Oh well.

Any advice for adjusting my pots?

I'm not interested in off-the-starting-line power, I'm more interested in no backfiring and better MPG. To be honest, the only reason I switched out the pipes is the stock was HIDEOUS (IMO- no offense to other 950ers).

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
418 Posts
You definitely have a problem bud. I have a 2012 stock 950 and it gets 55 mpg faithfully year round. What baffles me about your post is that, you cannot put more than 2.2 gallons in her. Hopefully you are filling to the bottom of the filler cup with it sitting on the kick stand.

As for the fuel consumption, it is a wonder that it will run if the fuel/air mixture is really that rich. I'm sorry that I can't help with that since you did all those mods.

Curious: What possessed you to do all that stuff before even breaking-in the bike or having the first service?

Your words: "I switched out the pipes is the stock was HIDEOUS (IMO- no offense to other 950ers)." As a friend of mine quotes: "A good horse is never a bad color." :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
You definitely have a problem bud. I have a 2012 stock 950 and it gets 55 mpg faithfully year round.
Sure wish I got that. My bone stock 1100 only gets 41 riding like an old lady. Same as my 814 pound Harley.

Also, the 1100 has same symptom as his 950 where it runs dry (switch to reserve) after consuming only 2.7 gallons. I carry an extra 1 gal tank in the saddle bag. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
Hi Ash,
When you installed the fuel processor from Cobra, the instructions provided should have listed what the three pots are to be set at. Since you're running the slashdowns and the air cleaner kit, you'll have to definitely adjust the pots. I'm only running the cobra slip-on, and an open air filter kit, and I had to adjust two out of the three pots on my 950t. Albeit mine had 14k on it I did my mods. Check your instruction sheet, fill up your tank with the kickstand down as commonground referred to, and see how it goes. Give the engine a chance to get broken in some and your mileage should improve. My mods barely effected my mileage. Just my 1.5 cents worth. Hope this helps, and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright! Thanks everyone. I will definitely try that and see how it goes. I've gone through 3 "tanks" now and the first one gave me about 50 mpg, then I thought- well maybe I didn't reset the trip meter or something when the first 60 mile light came on. So I made sure of it this time- same thing again at 55 miles.

As far as the mods go, guess I never saw any research or heard any bad advice to switch out my mods when it's new. Guess I just wanted to get it all done at the same time? No other reason other than I didn't like the pipes and some holiday sales going on. I wanted to learn all about my bike right when I got it, so I studied it and changed out parts. Hmmm, I still have all the stock parts should I decide to go back.

Thanks Keith- yes the fuel processor had instructions and I did have to change the pots a bit to eliminate popping. Looks like I'll keep tinkering with those. I plan on getting the first major service after the first of the year. I have about 450 miles now.

The fuel tank capacity boggles me... hmmm.

Thanks for the tips everyone, and have a very Merry Christmas!!

·
Administrator
13,272 Posts
As far as the mods go, guess I never saw any research or heard any bad advice to switch out my mods when it's new. Guess I just wanted to get it all done at the same time?
there's nothing wrong with putting those mods on a new engine. it shouldn't have any bearing on engine performance or longevity whether you do it when the bike is brand new or high mileage.

i have to blame the tuner here. either it is wired incorrectly, or just not working right. call up Cobra. even when i had my tuner set on pots 2/7/7 and averaging over 90mph on a cross country trip i was still getting to the 100 mile mark before my fuel light would come on.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote: As far as the mods go, guess I never saw any research or heard any bad advice to switch out my mods when it's new. Guess I just wanted to get it all done at the same time? Quote

Ashlie, I wasn't implying that it was wrong to do the mods. I was just curious. Not many folks are gutsy enough to jump in and do it before breaking in the machine. They're also afraid of voiding the warranty. Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Similar issue

i have a 2012 V-Star 950... Picked it up a month or so ago with 1500 miles.
Gas light has come on with 120 miles, 90 miles and recently 60 miles.
Filling up is less than 2.5 gallons each time.
Just don't get it... I've done nothing different to the bike. Everything is stock.
Can't seem to trust the mileage at all. Is there another tank that is not connecting?
I miss having a reserve tank.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Most of us are not qualified to troubleshoot an Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) problem. ST Katz I would make sure the air filter is clean and beyond that I would let the expert put the analyzer on it to find the problem. I can't imagine anything that you did to cause the problem. linkster11, Have you found your problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Commonground. I've read a few posts about others having a similar issue with filling up early. Definitely will have my mechanic check it.

Most of us are not qualified to troubleshoot an Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) problem. ST Katz I would make sure the air filter is clean and beyond that I would let the expert put the analyzer on it to find the problem. I can't imagine anything that you did to cause the problem. linkster11, Have you found your problem?

·
Administrator
13,272 Posts
i have a 2012 V-Star 950... Picked it up a month or so ago with 1500 miles.
Gas light has come on with 120 miles, 90 miles and recently 60 miles.
Filling up is less than 2.5 gallons each time.
Just don't get it... I've done nothing different to the bike. Everything is stock.
Can't seem to trust the mileage at all. Is there another tank that is not connecting?
I miss having a reserve tank.

do you smell any gas? does it sound weird? strange knocking or pinging? if any of those, i would get a mechanic to check that out. if you're getting less than 30mpg then something is not right. do you have an aftermarket tuner? if so, that's most likely the culprit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Filling less than 3-gal

I got the bike with only 1500 miles. I don't believe anything aftermarket was installed. No gas smell or anything weird. When I turn it off the bike pings like a car would of sorts after being hot. My first long ride when I got the bike I gassed at over 200 miles. Maybe it's the city driving?

My interest is why i only have to fill up less than 3 gal every time!
Thanks for responding... Appreciate it.

do you smell any gas? does it sound weird? strange knocking or pinging? if any of those, i would get a mechanic to check that out. if you're getting less than 30mpg then something is not right. do you have an aftermarket tuner? if so, that's most likely the culprit.

·
Administrator
13,272 Posts
city riding shouldn't have much impact. i live in Austin and we have horrible traffic. when you fill up, are you sure you're gassing it until it starts to bubble up to the top? if you wait until the gas light to go off to re-fill, you should be able to put in well over 3 gallons. if you can't, then the gas light is coming on prematurely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep... Filling up till it reaches the gas guard. It's just so weird.
I actually ran out of gas the other day thinking it was way to early to gas up.
Pushed it and it got me. And again... less than 3 gallons to fill!
What the hell?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi everyone!

Sorry, went away for a while with no internet and now back into the swing of things. First of all, happy new year!!

As far as my problem, I've scrolled through a few questions:

1. MODS: For the mods, thanks Bevo for the comment reinstating my confidence in modifying early! I have to admit Commonground, you had me worried! I guess I got a little wrench and reward happy after I got the new pipes!

2. FUEL TUNER: I did get an aftermarket fuel tuner after I installed the pipes. I bought a Cobra Fi2000 base model off of a fellow user. It seems to work fine and he said it worked for him, but maybe it's just old? I don't know. The lights light up and everything, but maybe not working correctly. I'll check that out after this next tank if adjusting the pots does nothing.

3. FILL UP: I filled up with gas again, engine off, me off of it, kickstand down and actually did manage to get over 3 gallons this time! I just filled up about 50 miles ago, so anxious to see if the light comes on early again after this tank empties - not a lot of riding time of course.

4. NOISES: I have heard no abnormal noises, clicks, pings, etc. No backfiring or even minor popping out of the pipes. Though I have to admit, I have a little sense of nervousness riding because I'm worried something is wrong! No problems yet. No gas smell, it sits in my garage so I would definitely smell it.

So nope, have not found the problem, but working through the troubleshooting I guess. I am due to take it in for its first major service at 5-600 miles pretty soon, so I'll talk to them about it then.

Any other signs I should check out? Spark plugs? Engine components? I don't know. The air cleaner is also brand new so not dirty or clogged.

ST Katz, so sorry to hear you're having the same problem! I sure hope I don't have to buy another fuel tuner, when I already spent money on this one, but if so, so be it.

Thanks for the follow ups and happy riding. Another month closer to spring...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ha Ha Ashlie, Didn't mean to scare you. The first 600 miles are for breaking in the engine and other moving parts and hopefully, identifying any problems with the bike as it came from the factory.

Troubleshooting problems is difficult for the technician at the dealership if the bike has been modified, especially with parts from other than the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Yamaha. One of the first questions the dealership will ask when you tell them about your problem is, " What are all the modifications done to the bike?"

Keep us posted and I hope that you find the culprit.

Augie

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just a bit of info on my 12 Stratoliner after all the mods and the turner I un hooked the the negative side battery terminal for about 5 min and let everything reset. helped on the Strat. Good Luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok great thanks! I might try that. You know, that's very interesting but maybe can help. I can swear after I put on both the pipes and the air intake, my first full tank was "normal" MPG (about 47).I thought it was maybe a combo tank of my OEM and mod parts, but I swear I ran at least another full tank with no problems, and then noticed this one.

Passed 60 miles this morning and no light so far...though I did manage to fit in another gallon on last fill up. If it makes it past 90, this will be very interesting.

I did add some electrical components (batter gauge and run/turn/brake controller, maybe a reset will help.

Thanks for the tip!

I was lucky enough to get a sunny ride in and taking another in a few to grab some lunch. Wish you all the same and have a great weekend!

·
Administrator
13,272 Posts
did you buy the Cobra unit from someone who has the same model bike as you? if you still aren't getting the correct gas mileage after this, call up Cobra. their customer service is good and knowledgeable and they will help you determine if the unit is working and connected properly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts