Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 yamaha 250 twin 4500mi. Squeal racket sounds in trans or sprocket in certain places in 1, 2, and 3 gears. It stops when I use the clutch. Seems to be more when I back off in gear. Will usually stop if I go faster or slower in gear. Previous owner changed the sprockets so I pulled the cover off the forward sprocket to take a look. All looked good except the sprocket had a a little space to move between engine case and its spline outer lock piece. Like a spacer was missing. Tech info shows no spacer there. Talked to dealer and dealer says no spacer there. If I tighten the chain a little it is some better, but I think chain is too tight then. My guess is the sprocket is causing this screaming noise. It is driving me nuts and ruins the riding experience. The trans and all else works perfectly. Somebody please help. Thanks. Wavelength.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Wavelenght, try to remove the front sprocket and check the output shaft splines. I had a similar issue withone of the school bikes. The front sprocket splines had worn down by half on the Iinside face. This would cause a loud noise some times with an agressive student and wouldn't be so loud with a beginner rider. I had to change the sprocket and managed to save the output shaft.
My 2 cents...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts