Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I decided to join the forums after spending most of the Summer enjoying my 2010 V star 950 T. It has been a fantastic starter bike. I have already put 4 thousand miles on it since buying it and getting my licence. After reading alot of posts, it seems like this is a very tight nit community of V star owners, and that couldn't be cooler. Already looking though the threats on this site about Ivans tune and air filter replacements. The bike came with a Vance and Hines which sounds perfect, but as others have noted a Tune and an intake would make highway driving at 80 a better experiance.

There is one issue... The bikes tool kit didn't come with the Preload wrench. I purchased a universal preload wrench and it couldn't tighten enough to clasp on.I am hoping a 950 owner who does have his could tell me what size it is ( apparently there are different size preload wrenches) so I can buy an aftermarket on that actual fits.

Its not bad when I am riding solo, but when I am two up me and my pillion hit bumps and it it deff bottoms out. The original owner set his to setting 3.. Im 235 lbs..

Either way, Glad to be joining.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
yeah you want to crank it up all the way to ride 2 up and crank it back to ride solo

on the 650 its under the seat, and it takes a few minutes to get the seat unbolted, longer if you have saddlebags over the passenger seat

not sure how it is on the 950 - if you have to take the passenger seat off to adjust it, you could leave it off when its set for solo riding

this is why touring bikes have air assisted shocks, and some have compressors on the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auth Poser - Thank you so much. Glad you found it. I will order this and update everyone on how it works. Have a feeling even with the right tool its going to be tough to get the spring adjuster to budge....

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
nope, you will be surprised

with the correct spanner and an extension on the handle (a short pipe maybe) the adjuster is not hard to turn

you are compressing the spring while you turn it, so there is a bit of torque on the wrench, but Ive never heard of one being stuck or seized

if you tried to adjust it with something like channel-locks, that would be a nightmare

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
God willing. It feels like riding a hard tail when two up. I was trying with the adjustable one last night and it had too much of a bend in the middle to grasp tightly. Kind of wish it was like the 650's where all you need to do is remove the seat and its right there vs having to take off the panels and belt guard. Should I spray wd40 on it to make it twist easier?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Im pretty sure it has click stops at each number

Id spray it with PB blaster if it looks dirty, WD40 would be ok right before you adjust it, but it will evaporate out in minutes

I use white lithium spray grease for stuff that needs to move, like the kickstand and exposed cable ends

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Welcome i am glad you are riding the crap out of it. My 1800 VTX had Vance&Hines son it and i loved them. My 1100 classic has cobras that i like just as much. Any questions these guys are more than happy to help out. Like you said it is a pretty tight knit group. Stop by often and have some fun.

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
My starter bike was a kick starter bike!

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee! My wife and I each have 09’ 950’s, and ride all over the place. We don’t ride 2up so ours are set at riding solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts