Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at installing SS custom cycle's 429 cams on my vstar 1100. They are recommending that with this mod, I also install a 64lb clutch conversion and a Dyna ignition module.

Question I have is, are these components truly necessary. Combined these will run approx $400 on top of the cams.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds like the cams add some ft.lbs. of torque - that must be why you need the heavier clutch springs. The ignition module will allow you to set the timing where the bike runs best - no way to do that with the stock setup. If it were me, I'd do both, for sure. It'll run that much better. You'd be amazed what a few degrees of timing will do.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You could get a second Diaphram Spring for your existing clutch for about $70 shipped and just double them up.

Mine has 29K on it and I'm starting to see slippage about 2K since cams and pistons.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You could get a second Diaphram Spring for your existing clutch for about $70 shipped and just double them up.

Mine has 29K on it and I'm starting to see slippage about 2K since cams and pistons.
Did you do your cams and pistons yourself or take it to a shop. I am about 80% ready to pull the trigger on this stuff but I want to know the difficulty in install VS how much a shop would charge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts